News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

‘Walnut’ Red WE?

Started by FABphones, August 12, 2020, 06:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This up on eBay if it grabs anyone's interest. Beautiful colouring.

Listing number 392906451192.

My questions: Is it WE? Why might the two makers mark areas be so blurred?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

SUnset2

I suspect that it is an ordinary red 500, and that the mottling is an artifact of the digital photography.

tubaman

Quote from: SUnset2 on August 13, 2020, 01:28:54 AM
I suspect that it is an ordinary red 500, and that the mottling is an artifact of the digital photography.
I think you may be right, but it is very pronounced.
It's sold now, so someone will soon find out.
:)

Jack Ryan

From where I am, searching for the auction ID and the title gives no result.

Why not just use a link?

Jack

tubaman

Here it is - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-RED-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-Bell-System-Western-Electric-amp-Cord-/392906451192
I could also find it on eBay UK by changing the search to "Worldwide" and adding "Completed Items".

Jack Ryan

Quote from: tubaman on August 13, 2020, 02:59:30 AM
Here it is - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-RED-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-Bell-System-Western-Electric-amp-Cord-/392906451192
I could also find it on eBay UK by changing the search to "Worldwide" and adding "Completed Items".

Thanks. I didn't realise it was a completed listing but a link would have found it anyway.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 13, 2020, 02:41:40 AM
From where I am, searching for the auction ID and the title gives no result.

Why not just use a link?

Apol guys, was on my small device and rushed, will be sure to add link in future not just listing screenshots and number :-[.  Listing was active when posted.

Hope someone here got it so we can find out more.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on August 13, 2020, 04:38:16 AM
Apol guys, was on my small device and rushed, will be sure to add link in future not just listing screenshots and number :-[.  Listing was active when posted.

Hope someone here got it so we can find out more.

Thanks and all good, tubaman posted the link.

As it happens, I can't add much light to the subject. They look like a very low resolution images taken at ISO 50000. I can't even see the maker's signature.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

I strongly suspect that the mottling seen in the pictures is an artifact of the imaging.  In the first picture of the listing, the same effect appears on the cord as well.  That phone is not worth anywhere near $99.

Larry

Key2871

I bought a set just like that off e bay years ago.. When I got it it was a Red 53 Western electric. I was bummed but happy because I didn't pay much for it but it's amazing what that color can look like under poor lighting.
KEN

Jim Stettler

I felt  it was an issue with the photos.
I did BIN on the 500 and 2500.
I  stated that I was buying them based off the assumption they were red with brown specks and were molded plastic vs painted plastic.
He got back to me and said they were both plain red and cancelled the order.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

tubaman

Quote from: Jim Stettler on August 13, 2020, 05:38:19 PM
I felt  it was an issue with the photos.
I did BIN on the 500 and 2500.
I  stated that I was buying them based off the assumption they were red with brown specks and were molded plastic vs painted plastic.
He got back to me and said they were both plain red and cancelled the order.
Jim

That was a bit risky Jim, but I can understand you not wanting to miss out if they were the real thing.
Assume the 2500 was this one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Telephone-Red-PUSH-BUTTON-AT-amp-T-Western-Electric-/293688027131

FABphones

Quote from: Jim Stettler on August 13, 2020, 05:38:19 PM
....I stated that I was buying them based off the assumption they were red with brown specks and were molded plastic vs painted plastic....

You did right to add the proviso.

Screenshots from above link:

Jim Stettler

The pattern on the plastic is so consistent that it seemed possible it was real.
The handsets don't seem to be the same shade of red but have the same pattern.
This made me think they could be  made with 3 "pucks" of sample plastic  on a one shot mold machine.
It would of been cool if they looked like they did in the photo.
Jim

I have a clear phone that was made with sample plastic on a one-shot machine.
A one shot molding machine was used in the research areas to make sample housings 1 at a time.
The plastic used in the machine came in a puck size chunk. depending on the puck there was enough plastic to do a housing or with the larger puck, you could do a housing and handset handle.

This info came from a guy who interned at AE. They made a  clear AE80 housing and handle with sample plastic.
The boss let the interns have it.
There were 3 interns so they played a hand of paycheck poker* for the set. The winner added a (shiny) gold dial and handset caps, because they were the coolest parts he could find in the  stock room.
I won it on ebay and he contacted me and offered to meet in person.

*paycheck poker= your hand is based on the control # of your paycheck. He still remembered his winning hand
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.