News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ATE Wallphone

Started by FABphones, November 15, 2020, 01:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Have been watching this auction. Ended today, selling price £320 plus postage. Personally, not one for me, but can appreciate what the designers have tried to do.

British Telephones show similar under 'unknown' prototypes:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/prototyp/unknown/menuprot.htm

This one stamped ATE:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1220.htm

I can't find any documentation to say this was ever made available, and it does not appear in any of the usual catalogues.

I see Andy on here has one in his muzzzzzeum  :), perhaps he can add an additional photo or two of his phone inc rear?

ETA: Additional link.

Screenshots:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Inside:

FABphones

The phone in Andy's collection.

ETA: Different fingerwheel.
Is there anything you can tell us about this one Andy.

——

Photo Credit; Andy's FB.

Jack Ryan

If a telephone company went to ATE and said "we want to buy your telephones but we don't want your No 5 dial, we want a standard No 12". I think ATE would have said "yes, no problem!"

Historically, Monophones were supplied with Type 24, Type 24C and No 10 dials - whatever the customer wanted.

Jack

RB

Can't Decide if I like that one or not???
There's something about it, kind of art deco or something?
Kind of draws you to it...

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 15, 2020, 07:48:38 PM
If a telephone company went to ATE and said "we want to buy your telephones but we don't want your No 5 dial, we want a standard No 12". I think ATE would have said "yes, no problem!"...

I don't question the reason for the two dial types, if it was an Ericsson/ATE collaboration, and understand your point (isn't that a 21 type dial though):
https://www.britishtelephones.com/dial21.htm

Do we know that Ericsson/ATE were approached, manufactured and issued these anywhere? I can find nothing to confirm this model was ever released for use. My BT contacts cannot recall ever seeing one, nor can I find any document, catalogue or other. Just the info on my link above.

Quote from: RB on November 15, 2020, 09:57:40 PM
Can't Decide if I like that one or not???

I don't like it much. To my eye it looks awkward and the handset doesn't sit well on it.
:(

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on November 15, 2020, 10:32:13 PM
I don't question the reason for the two dial types, if it was an Ericsson/ATE collaboration, and understand your point (isn't that a 21 type dial though):

The other dial is a No 21 but I just meant that any dial could be ordered, I hadn't looked at the other dial.

Do we know that Ericsson/ATE were approached,

How does Ericsson play a part? It's an ATE telephone isn't it?

manufactured and issued these anywhere? I can find nothing to confirm this model was ever released for use.

I think it is pretty clear that it was manufactured and released. It just didn't do very well.

My BT contacts cannot recall ever seeing one

BT people tend to only know BT equipment. Just like PMG people know PMG equipment and AT&T people know Western Electric equipment. If it wasn't used by their organisation it pretty much didn't exist.

I don't like it much. To my eye it looks awkward and the handset doesn't sit well on it.
:(

I think that is a sign of the times - the companies failed.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 15, 2020, 10:50:56 PM

...How does Ericsson play a part? It's an ATE telephone isn't it?...

...I think it is pretty clear that it was manufactured and released. It just didn't do very well...

The circuit diagram shows an ATE diagram number of L532775 to left and an Ericsson diagram number of N193331 to right. Shows better on the full size image but have zoomed in on the diagram anyhow (below) although it blurs.

Link as per above:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n1220.htm

Pretty clear why please? I can't find anything on them. How many were made, does anyone know? Might these be pre-production models which failed their field trial?

If he attaches it, am keen to see the rear of Andy's phone to note if anything on there, and photos of the inside and wiring diagram on that particular phone would be helpful too.

Until then, I am moving on. Spending too much time learning about a phone I don't even like.  :o

Jack Ryan

I am no expert on this phone or its desk equivalent so I may be off the mark.

I believe it and the desk version is an ATE development. Ericsson only gets its name in there because the companies were merged soon after its development.

I think there are too many of them to be field trials - especially the desk version.

I have no ATE documentation on the phone that would clarify the situation, I am just expressing my view. Aside from an interest in the No 5 dial, I have never researched these telephones.

And like you, I think the wall phone is pretty ugly.

Jack