News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally lost number found.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 26, 2009, 11:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellen

This evening we talked about phone numbers - my parents, and bro and sis.  Dad said the number there at Broadview Farm was 131 (ca. 1923 - 1937).  Hell, I didn't even know that was the name of the farm!!!  We make a big deal over family stories and family history, I was so surprised that the farm's name was left out of all the stories.  My brother remembered 838-4182; I remember VOlunteer 2-5942. 

My Mom doesn't remember her childhood number, but said that the phone was in a little corner by the front door, on a little triangular table that Uncle Herman built, with a little triangular seat that fit in under the table.  When she wanted privacy, she would step out into the cold front porch and close the door on the wire.  Grandma had an old phone (black) there in my memory, but got a new (probably 500) one around 1975.

HobieSport

Funny, I can still remember our family phone number on the West Coast: 722-1857 and my best friends' number, 724-2326.  But I can't remember the area code because we very rarely used long distance.
-Matt

bingster

Ours was 345-6172.  It was neat because it contained each digit 1 through 7.
= DARRIN =

AET

I was asking my dad again about the phone numbers, he recalled that his Grandmother who lived in another part of Milwaukee, was UPtown something.  He couldn't remember the rest though.
- Tom

Steve

Tom, do you live in Milwaukee? we are relocating there soon.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

AET

No, I Was born there, and my family lived there for Generations, "White Flight" pushed us out finally in the early 90s and my grandparents in 87.  I live in Portage which is about an hour and a half away.  I've got quite a bit of family in Waukesha, Hartford, Meomonee Falls, and other Milwaukee Suburban areas, but everyone has move out of the city.
- Tom

Steve

Cool!
We are old school Chicago. 4 generations both my wife and myself. you need only read the news to know why we are leaving. we moved to the suburbs a few years ago, but this place is so toxic, nothing will ever be the same.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

AET

I completely understand. Whereabouts in M'waukee are you looking to move, hey?
- Tom

Steve

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on June 07, 2009, 01:08:18 AM
I completely understand. Whereabouts in M'waukee are you looking to move, hey?

We already have the Apt. we are moving to Wauwatosa, not far ( couple blocks) from the fairgrounds. right by the Menomonee river parkway. we are slated to move in Aug 1st, but the Landlord is letting us start moving in july1st. you are welcome to stop by anytime :)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Dan/Panther

My Mom was born in Stetsonville, and I made a trip Chicago in 2001, for my sons Graduation from Great Lakes.  We made the jump to Kenosha for Breakfast, don't ya know...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Steve

If you are ever back this way, this invitation is extended to you,too. any members out this way are welcome to stop by for cigars, and some Knob Creek. ('cept Tom, he's underage and in his case, his old man could whoop me :)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

AET

When my dad was very young, his childhood home on 60th and Hampton was Wauatosa until it was annexed.  I ain't underaged for Stogies ya know!  I smoke them regularly. And heck, Pop don't mind if I drink.  I have a 15 year old brother and sister that drink more than I do!

And also, thank you very much for the warm invite!  I may take ya up on that if I'm ever out that way!
- Tom

HobieSport

Did someone say "Knob Creek"?  That sounds like the purrfect thing to grow some hair on my chest and make my whiskers twitch.
-Matt

Steve

Hell Tom, I've got some Greycliffes put up in the humidor. anytime you get over that way, ( after August) call me up. PM me for the new phone number in a couple weeks.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

Quote from: HobieSport on June 07, 2009, 01:45:26 AM
Did someone say "Knob Creek"?  That sounds like the purrfect thing to grow some hair on my chest and make my whiskers twitch.
O'yeah. someone knows their Whiskey! I likes me Scotch as well, but not all can enjoy. (SAVAGES!)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,