News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Answering Machine on Xlink?

Started by AL_as_needed, April 16, 2017, 09:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

I was attempting to organize my closet and squeeze a few more packed-away phones in when I came across a tape answering machine I found some time ago. As far as I can tell it works, minus the little tapes. It has adjustments for the number of rings it allows before it cuts in to take a message. Has anyone used this in conjunction with xlink? Does the machine "pick-up" the call when it cycles on?

I think it would be rather interesting for my callers to actually have to leave a physical message on a machine rather than voicemail through my cellphone. Plus it looks kinda snazzy next to my 2500.

thanks
TWinbrook7

Victor Laszlo

Does a standard 2500 set work on your X-link output jack? If so, then any telephone device designed for a POTS line will work, including your old tape machine. Be sure to set the ring count for less than that already programmed in your cell phone for transfer to voicemail, or toggle voice mail OFF on your cell phone when hooked to the X-link adapter.

AL_as_needed

Yes my 2500 and rotary models work just fine on xlink. While Im not sure the exact count the machine is set for (an option called "toll saver"), I will have to experiment. Sadly with my cell voicemail on/off is not an option.
TWinbrook7

poplar1

An example of "Toll Saver" setting:

If there are no messages, answering machine will answer after 4 rings.
Once there is at least one new message, machine will answer after 2 rings.
So, if you are checking your messages while out of town, you would call your own number. If you heard more than 2 rings, then you would know that no one had left a message. Thus, you could hang up and not be billed for a long distance call.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Victor Laszlo

"It is a crime to defraud the telephone company using any ruse, scheme, device or artifice."  (Label found on many pay phones during the 1970's.)  It would seem that the "toll-saver" feature would fall under that law.

poplar1

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on April 18, 2017, 03:21:32 PM
"It is a crime to defraud the telephone company using any ruse, scheme, device or artifice."  (Label found on many pay phones during the 1970's.)  It would seem that the "toll-saver" feature would fall under that law.

The telephone company owned "Phone Center Stores" sold AT&T branded answering machines with the toll saver feature. DDD (direct dial Long distance) calls that resulted in no answer, busy, or wrong numbers were not billable, though you had to call the operator to receive credit for wrong numbers.

I do recall reading that it was illegal to have a (calling) device that would disconnect immediately after (a called line) answer. On pay phones, if you hung up immediately after someone answered, the 10 cent deposit would be returned.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.