and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1500D arrives

Started by McHeath, January 31, 2009, 09:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Yeh, and friends don't let friends collect 12 button phones! ;D

Oops, too late, I've got a 2500 Stromberg in the closet.   :-[

Actually I like the 2500s as well as I have fond memories of them from the late 70's and early 80's.  I'd like something like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/a9vr6y

Meanwhile back at the 1500, the new handset cord came today and is installed.  Nice cord, it's a WE cord made in 83, NOS.  Looks really good, and several familia members have been over the last couple of days and commented on how cool it is.  Funny eh?  I sit and look at it and note all the defects, they think it's looks hypercool.  So I dunno, it's growing on me.  I will have to post some final pics of it as is. 

McHeath

Final pictures:

Using incandescent light, along with a Halogen, resulted in much better color representation than the compact Fluros jobbers we normally have in the house.  This is the phone with the cord as cleaned.  If you look close you will notice some yellowing/greening, but it's not too bad.

McHeath

I'm growing more pleased with the phone each day, and will probably just keep it as is.  If you've never done a major sanding job on a phone it's kinda fun, and seeing a phone go from a badly yellowed clunker to shiny aqua blue has been pretty satisfying.  This phone will never win any awards methinks, but I'm not regretting the overly high price as much as I did at first and am proud to have it displayed.

Now, what's next?  Hmmm....

Dennis Markham

Heath, you should be proud.  It looks nice.  I know it is a huge job.  It's not always fun while you're doing it but once it's finished it is fun looking back.   Nice job!

Dennis Markham

Heath, here's are you next projects:

http://tinyurl.com/dlhsen

http://tinyurl.com/at4zov

http://tinyurl.com/b82fks

That will keep you busy for a while.  All 10-button too.

Bill Cahill

Yeh. Great idea. If he's busy, that will leave more ebay stuff for , er, me....  :D
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

Go for it Heath! A happy little ten button family.

bingster

I don't understand how you work those little grey square things.  They don't look like they turn.  ???
= DARRIN =

McHeath

It's kind of a square pegs in round holes kinda thing...
;)

HobieSport

Or a primitive form of telecommunication before the invention of the wheel?

McHeath

So, update on this phone.  After a lot of scouring the web I found a NOS shell and handset and bought them both.  Both are aqua blue, the handset is WE and the shell is unknown maker as it has no name, but it's the correct aqua blue and matches the WE NOS cord and handset perfectly.  Whew.  What a lot of scrubbing on that original badly discolored shell, it's been weeks and my fingers are still recovering their skin.

Anyway, here is the phone as it currently appears with all new exterior plastics, except the faceplate.  Both shell and handset has some box wear, I guess from sliding around in their boxes for all these years.  I just polished them and waxed them and shazam, it certainly looks fine.  Problem if of course the plastics are not time period, so I will keep an eye out still for stuff from the 60s to eventually replace these.  (Endless saga)

BDM

Hmmm, gotta admit, I love blue
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Heath, the phone looks fantastic....like new!  That cover will do. If you find a W.E. some day great, if not, it's a nice looking 10-button.

McHeath

Thanks.  That is about as fresh and clean of an Aqua Blue as you can get, the handset and shell have lived in boxes for 30 years and that cord did as well. 

I may not ever be able to find WE parts from the 60s that clean, and that's what I wanted was a pristine aqua blue 10 button.  It's rather a frankenphone, sadly, but it sure is pretty on the desk. 

mienaichizu

i like it Heath, your 10 button phone evolves