News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally After Years of Collecting - AE Styleline with Illuminated Dial !

Started by GTE Rick, December 22, 2012, 09:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Bill,
        This was from 1959 General Telephone Laboratories , Inc            stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

stub

RickGTE,
             Can you post pics of the bottom of the base of the Styleline showing the codes or label?  Thanks,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

I came across a rotary Styleline handset that has 6 gold contacts in the handset jack; three contacts have wires go to the speech circuit and two contacts have  two black wires with connectors on the end. These are similar to the wires on lighted Starlite dials. However, I don't see anything to connect the black wires to. The dial has only two wires connected to the pulsing contacts.

RickGTE, can you take a picture of the inside of your lighted Styleline handset? Do you think that someone replaced the lighted dial with the non-lighted one?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

I gathered up and moved a bunch of posts about Illuminated Stylelines into this topic.

Here are Some pictures of my Pink Illuminated Styleline.

The last picture is a picture of the base code on a Styleline with Illumination. The gray electrical tape tag with 414 on it is just my inventory code.

The early metal based Stylines usually had the typical AE base codes on them (NC981180NSL for example) but by the time they converted to plastic bases (1978 and likely even before then) the codes disappeared and they actually began putting dates on the bases again...occasionally...on a good day at least.

The "X" on this BASE indicates that it has the two wires from set cord, through the switch hook (to turn the light off when the phone is on hook) to the handset cord jack to support Illumination if the handset has an Illuminated type dial and both of the cords are 5 conductor and there is a current limiting plug installed to feed the AC into the phone. Non Illumination models seem to have an N for the dial code rather than an X.

Since the bases were always modular components and mix and match was encouraged for Wall/Desk and Rotary/Touch Call there would have been no point in having a letter on the base to distiguish between Non Illumination Dial, Illumination Dial and Touch Call Dial so there is probably just the N or X on bases to indicate that the base has the extra contacts and switch hook pileup to support dial Illumination.

Terry

Brain Forest

I'm very interested in these electro-luminescent dials. Is there any documentation available that shows which models and which years support these dials?

I've seen a couple old Starlites with power cords, but I'd really like to locate a Type 82, like in the GTE document earlier in this thread (Reply 13 from Stub).

mst269

I'm not quite sure why these electroluminescent phones are so nifty, but they sure are.  Maybe it's having 120 volts in your phone (next to your face for Stylelines!) but they're pretty neat.

I have a 6-69 white Starlite rotary (base code- NC 820191 MSL) with a newer GTE/AE top housing on my main CO line on my bedside table.  I've had it in use for a while but needed to build a current-limiting board to light it up.  I put one together that will do 5 phones independently (50 10k 1/4W resistors and 2 0.5A fuses for the curious) and now this one's lit.  Still need to pull more cable to use the other 4 circuits.

Here it is with the lights on.

And off go the lights, re-white-balance the camera, exposure time 15 seconds, and illuminate with a little LED flashlight from a distance.

Closeup of the dial.

Up in my phone room I have this rotary Styleline (2-72, NC 982170 XSL) on the wall (its red neighbor is Touch Call) and it appears to me to never have been hooked up.  I punched down a pair on one of the other 120v circuits in the basement and hauled the cable up the stairs.  Here it is; note it's WAY brighter than the Starlite.  The (admittedly dim) room light is on.

Richard

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brain Forest on January 31, 2013, 01:57:55 PM
I've seen a couple old Starlites with power cords, but I'd really like to locate a Type 82, like in the GTE document earlier in this thread.

I suspect that the AE82 is a very difficult phone to locate. I have one in Ivory and when I bought it on ebaY I had absolutely no idea that these existed. They would have been made for a very short period of time before they switched production to the 182 Starlite's to keep up with WECo's Princess phone.

AE 82 is a conventional looking AE80 with an electroluminescent dial face and an AC cord like the first generation Starlite's.

Richard: thanks for the Styleline pictures. I really need to locate my illuminatable Styleline and "spark it up with some 120VAC"

Terry

Brain Forest

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 01, 2013, 01:23:04 AM
AE 82 is a conventional looking AE80 with an electroluminescent dial face and an AC cord like the first generation Starlite's.

Maybe this is for a different thread, but may I see it?

dsk

Some time ago my wife agreed in having a phone at the table beside on here side of the bed too could be a good idea. So I put up a Starlite, but the light disturbed so much, she couldn't fall to sleep.  I had to lend a set of hook switch contacts, and ended up with shorting the dial light when on hook, and yes it works great. The adapter doesn't get hot at all, and the dial will probably last for "ever".

dsk

Brain Forest

Hi Terry,

Would you be able to post the base code? I'm looking at an AE80 with a funny code, and hoping I might get lucky!

Chris

stub

Here's the code that was on my 981 ( desk ) Styleline with the electroluminescent dial - NC 98112 XSL  
                                                                                                                                     9 70 4                           stub
Kenneth Stubblefield