News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My funky find last weekend. To restore or not. That is the question!

Started by rogersrr, March 14, 2013, 01:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogersrr

I found this cool, early 1950's phone booth or as the label says accoustic booth at a estate sale and could not resist. It was made by Sherron Metallic Corp. in Brooklyn, NY. It came out of a small motel/diner in Cuba, New Mexico. It has a wonderful aged patina and was painted to match the colors of the motel. I have only been able to find a couple of simular booth pics online but nothing with the pitched roof like this one has so if anyone knows anything about this particular model any information would be greatly appreciated. I will obviously be replacing the glass in it but would like to get some of your thoughts on whether I should restore/paint it or not. I dont want to ruin the value of it. Also if anyone would know what original phone this booth would have had so I can begin my search to find one. When I got it it had a old rotary ITT wall mount phone mounted in it which you can barely see sitting on the shelf in the pics. Im almost sure it was installed later probably for guest to use as a courtesy phone.  So what does everyone think? To restore or not? That is the question

G-Man

A great Find!
Certainly not an everyday item.
A nice red AE three-slot would look very nice in it once it has been restored!

I believe that a few years ago someone on the TCI list scanned the practices for it so they may reside in the TCI Library now.

stub

rogersrr ,
                SWEET!!!!! Here's all I can find for now.  AE 1957 Catalog , pg. 78 .   
Here's the link to TCI Library -        http://tinyurl.com/3r4zluc

Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Why in heaven's name did they paint over the "Telephone" sign?  I was wondering if the red paint could be removed w/o damaging the sign, but now that I see it's a decal, it's a lost cause.

Originally it apparently had a red paint enamel finish, but looks like somebody slapped some plain ol' red house paint over it in an attempt to touch it up.  Since that red paint isn't original, I would go ahead and restore it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

The glass panels were "wire glass" (see catalog description). This glass has "chicken wire" inside. Does anyone still make that? I remember seeing it in the small window panes in regular metal doors as well.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan/Panther

I would definitely have to restore that. The reason is what historical significance in preserving that paint job. At least attempt to remove as much of the paint as possible.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Nick in Manitou

I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a similar booth, made by the same company, currently on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271162984841

Greg G.

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on March 14, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a similar booth, made by the same company, currently on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271162984841

I take back my comment about the other being slapped over with red house paint because this one the same worn red-over-yellow look.  Not sure what that is.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rogersrr

Thanks to all of you for all the great info and similar pics. The one on eBay says from the 30's but not so sure. The patent on mine was filed in 1952 and its almost identical to that one. I am going to look into the wire glass and see if I can still get it. As much as I love the aged patina I think I will go for the full restore. If anyone runs across a old 3 slot that's a good deal please contact me. Once again thanks for the help and pics. Your all are A-1..

Mr. Bones

Quote from: rogersrr on March 17, 2013, 09:36:42 PM
Thanks to all of you for all the great info and similar pics. The one on eBay says from the 30's but not so sure. The patent on mine was filed in 1952 and its almost identical to that one. I am going to look into the wire glass and see if I can still get it. As much as I love the aged patina I think I will go for the full restore. If anyone runs across a old 3 slot that's a good deal please contact me. Once again thanks for the help and pics. Your all are A-1..

I'd just try contacting several of your local glass repair/replacement businesses, shop around for price, etc. We still use the 'chicken-wire' glass at work, so I am reasonably certain it is readily available most everywhere.

Good luck, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus