News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hurricanes after a tornado

Started by AL_as_needed, May 17, 2018, 08:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

As collectors of what to others seems like odd items, it is always a bit of a thrill to actually put your pieces to work. The Hudson Valley (NY) was rocked by about four tornadoes, which for us a single tornado is an extreme rarity... so one could well imagine how things panned out with four times the 20 year average...

Anyway, things were a mess for a lot of people and my folks were left without power for several days. Suddenly the collection became a real asset as I dropped a few lanterns off with extra Klean Heat fuel.  Can't charge your phone or save the ice-cream, but at least they were the only house on the street with light  8). A lit to be said for hobbies with a practical side.
TWinbrook7

FABphones

I can't resist a good Solar Light. I've put several into our horses barn style stable block.

Quite amusing when we get our power cuts and the horses have full illumination.
The neighbours ( neigh - bours  ;D ) still haven't worked out how the horses have light but none of their houses do.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RB

LED's draw almost nuthin.
It is easy to add solar lites here n there.
quick cheap lighting.

19and41

The kerosene lamps can provide good lighting without creating a draw on the electricity needed for other purposes and they have the added bonus of providing some heat value as well.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

And seeing as I have a small collection of them and love breaking them out at any excuse at lighting them.. win win.  ;D                                                                                                                                           
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

I've been kind of disappointed with the weather we've had and the lack of power cuts, not that it stopped me lighting an Aladdin now and then during the cold spells we had (namely the so-called "Beast from the East", which was more like a fluffy white puppy!!), the power grid round here just seems to be quite strong and reliable, makes for a boring time really...  ;D

AL_as_needed

That actually brings up a good point twocvbloke; where I live had very frequent power issues when I started collecting Dietz lanterns. Now that I have more than enough to keep things aglow, I think the power only went out once....for two hours... figures :P
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

It's what us brits refer to as "Sod's law", when you are unprepared for something, everything goes wrong, when you're prepared, nothing happens, bit like winters here, I bought winter boots about 4 years ago, they're only slightly used to date because there's been so little snow...  ;D

19and41

It can also help to have a lamp that can also be a decorative item 'til needed.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I'd leave my Super Aladdin hung up, but I kept walking into it, so it sits on my shelf awaiting its' time... ;D