News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Homebrew E1 Transmitter Disassembly Tool

Started by TelePlay, January 25, 2017, 09:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Got an E1 handset and found out quickly the receiver came apart easily but the transmitter element retainer was stuck in place.

After trying a vice, strap wrench and heat gun, I realized it wasn't coming apart easily.

This tool came to mind. I'd seen them in the plumbing section of Home Depot but never needed one until now. $11.67 plus tax,

Marked and drill a 1/8" hold in each jaw, bolted in a 4-40 3/4" long machine screw, attached the retainer to the screw stubs, tightened the jaws down, put the strap wrench on the Bakelite spit cup (after heating) and applied pressure until it literally cracked loose. I though I broke something but it was just the dirt and whatever in the threads giving way. Separated without any problems after that.

One of the machine screws bent a little but they are replaceable. The only thing needed to make one of these was a drill press, the only real tool I have in my dungeon. Drilling cast iron can be done with a little cutting oil and patience.

Pourme

Very clever John....Every E1 I own has at least one piece I can't unscrew. That tool works well against the transmitter.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

I should point out that this is only to be used to get the aluminum transmitter adapter cup free from the mouthpiece to get the F1 capsule and grid plate out of the mouthpiece.

While there are smaller diameter holes on the mouthpiece and locking ring, this tool would most likely break the Bakelite in the all the pressure is on the holes themselves.

This tool with the strap wrench work best by placing the transmitter on the bench top and having the wrenches at about 30-45 degrees allowing pressure to be placed downward on both of the wrenches with the transmitter tight against the bench top.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Thanks!

Necessity is the mother of invention and not having the correct tools, this turned out working well.

I used it tonight to take the receiver apart. Had to go down to 3-32 screws due to smaller holes in the aluminum receiver case apart from the handle. Wasn't stuck near as tight as the transmitter cup but using smaller screws was problematic in they bent easier.

In the future, I think 1/8" steel pins to fit the jaws holes and then grinding the exposed ends down to the cup hole size would work better, would not bend. The pins would be interchangeable so the tool can be used as needed.

I might drill another set of holes in the jaws closer to the tips to accept things up to 3" in diameter, the largest opening of the wrench.

The key to this working is the long, parallel jaws thick enough to take a 1/8" drill. Not real fancy but it gets the job done.

Nick in Manitou