News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does everyone know their phone "number" ?

Started by JimH, December 14, 2013, 11:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I was just thinking I don't know how many telephones I have....I have never counted them.  If everyone else is like me, you have your "collector" phones...the ones you treasure and would hate to give up, and then you have everything else.  I need to do a spreadsheet or something.  Sometimes I come across phones I forgot about!  I'm going to estimate including my "common" phones that are thrown in totes (which way out-numbers my collector phones) , it's got to be around 150.  Anyone else?
Jim H.

WesternElectricBen

I think I'm around 150 or maybe a tad below or over. I have about 60-70 on display where the rest sit in my shop waiting to be restored.

Ben

JimH

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 15, 2013, 12:00:46 AM
I think I'm around 150 or maybe a tad below or over. I have about 60-70 on display where the rest sit in my shop waiting to be restored.

Ben
I think I am right there with you at 150.  I don't display all of my "collectable" phones, I don't have the room!  Every time I think of "thinning out" the collection, I just can't bear to do it! 
Jim H.

WesternElectricBen

I agree, I need to thin out the phones and stuff I don't really like.

I got a good deal on some A&E 182's last March, but I never ended doing much with them so I should sell so I'm not overwhelmed. That makes things much less fun..

Ben

Kenton K

"You can never have to many phones", I said before I had some 60 phones. After 60 phones, I'm more like "I swear, this is my LAST one".

-kk

Matilo Telephones

I really have no idea how many telephones I have in my collection. I´m also not really sure where my collection ends and my stock of phones to be sold begins.

I have about 200 telephones here. But it depends a little on what you define as having a telephone. I could make more telephones, if I assemble them from loose parts of partial telephones that I have.

I think I have about 50-60 in my actial collection. But I also have some doubles and triples I intend to restore and pick out the best one.

Does everyone else have a clear definition as to what is actually part of your collection and what is not?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

JimH

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on December 15, 2013, 03:06:23 AM

Does everyone else have a clear definition as to what is actually part of your collection and what is not?

I started out just wanting one model of everything I liked.  That turned into each model in every color (which I still don't have).  On some of them, I keep doubles because some have a straight cord (like soft plastic 500s), and some have a coiled cord.  I guess the possibilities are almost endless.  Still haven't picked up the "birthday" phone, yet, though.
Jim H.

Matilo Telephones

Yes, the more differences you see, the more slightly different phones you can collect.

But do you count all the phones you have as belonging to your collection. Often collectors do not count the DECT-Phone the use daily as belonging to their collection. But also phones bought for parts or bought to sell on or give away. Or for whetever reason, do you count them as belonging to your collection? Personally I´m not sure where my collection ends and my stock, as it were, begins.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

zaphod01

I've been brutal about trying to keep it under 20. My collection keeps getting older. I've been selling off the newer stuff and buying older stuff. I took a count and came up with 19. Room for 1 more!  ;D

Western Electric phones:

2 20AL's
2 51AL's
1 202
4 302's
1 305
1 306
2 5302's
1 5304
2 500's
1 510
2 702BM's (technically these are the wife's)

Subsets:

1 WE 534A
2 WE 684A's
2 NE 684BX's

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Doug Rose

My collection is my collection and anything I have in stock for sale is not part of my collection. I am very fortunate that I can display my collection and nothing is in boxes that is part of my collection. Dusting is a challenge.

At this point, when a new one comes into my collection,  one has to leave for another collectors collection. It makes it very hard to add something new.

I have no idea what my number is,  I lost count many years ago

Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Dang you!  You made me get up and go count them (but it was fun).  I counted 94, not including parts phones and subsets.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Ok, I counted more exact, I have 75 in my room, 1 in our kitchen, 1 in my fathers den, and about 70 or 80 packed away in the shop.

Ben 

Russ Kirk

I have 150 on display on my home and about 15 inboxes for parts or restoration. I am at max for because of display space.  I find myself selling some phones at phone shows and buying older or rarer sets.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

I have something around 50 phones, while about 30 of them are display worthy.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

If you can still count them in a reasonable amount of time, phoneitis is still in it's early stages.  But once entrenched, it is progressive.   Get busy buying! ;D
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line