News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is it worth it?

Started by HarrySmith, June 17, 2013, 05:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I have a chance to pick up an AE payphone for $100.00. I know absolutely nothing about AE payphones. Does it look complete? Is it worth $100.00.
Many thanks for your opinions ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

It looks worth it although the network is not AE like the rest of the set.Any keys?

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 17, 2013, 05:46:31 PM
I have a chance to pick up an AE payphone for $100.00. I know absolutely nothing about AE payphones. Does it look complete? Is it worth $100.00.
Many thanks for your opinions ;D
Hi Harry:

The only thing not complete in it is the relay has been removed from the front of the coin chute. If you were going to set it up with a controller, you would need to replace it. But if looking for a phone that can be converted for home use, it would be perfect.

Not a bad price.

Also, I have uploaded a document sent to me years ago from Jim Prather, General System Practices, Engineering Plant Series Section 576-200-200 Dated April 1963. It contains general installation information for A. E. Co. paystations and includes drawings for the Type 62 prepay, type 62-55 prepay, LPA 82 prepay, LPA82-55, LPB 82 prepay, LPB82-55 prepay, LPA 86 semi postpay, LPA86-10 semi postpay, LPA 86-55 semi postpay, LPB 86 semi postpay, LPB86-10 semi postpay, LPB86-55 semi postpay, LPA-89 local prepay, LPA89-55 local prepay, LPB 89 local prepay, and the LPB89-55 local prepay types payphones. This file is 376 k in size and is in PDF format.

You might find it of help to you. Kink below the photo.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

What is the model number on the tag mounted just behind the coin gauge? It looks as if it might be from the LPC- series paystations.

The photo is somewhat blurry but it appears to be A.E.'s version of a potted network.
And of course as Dave has already noted the coin relay is amongst the missing items.

I'm curious as to what the red wire in the upper-housing is connected to.