"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

Obituary for the melted phone.

Western Electric 565HK,  fondly called 565 by his close friends,  Not much was known about 565's early life.  In his later life he was sought out by avid collectors that had a special place reserved in their collections.

565 met an untimely demise when he met a demented pyromaniac in a hidden garage late one evening.  The pyromaniac had a blow torch and several cans of horrid spray paint.

Alas, ole 565 was born October 1965 and only 47 years 11 months old when he died.

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Adam

I agree, a shame, but it was just black, not a particularly rare set.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Greg G.

About 4 decades too early.

Quote1930's solid brass antique rotary phone - $75 (tacoma)

In working condition, our research has told us that it came from at New York motel lobby. Weighs 13 lbs. and stands 41 inches tall.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

From not a New York HOTEL Lobby but a from the rare New York MOTEL lobby! And I don't think it was a Motel in New York City but possibly it was in Hicksville New York. I guess it stood right between the Gumball Machine and the Ice Machine. They weren't a big enough Motel to have a Payphone so a cheap "Made in China" Pedestal Phone had to do!

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 08, 2013, 01:47:22 AMFrom not a New York HOTEL Lobby but a from the rare New York MOTEL lobby! And I don't think it was a Motel in New York City but possibly it was in Hicksville New York.

The "stump" version seems tp be worth lot more to that phone's seller . . .   ;)

Could it be that maybe that was indeed the NY "hotel" version?

TelePlay

BIN for $330 plus $62 shipping, really?

Posting this for posterity because it's right up there with the Dali Lobster phone that started this topic, sort of . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121172671431

Listed by the seller, with an apparently funky shift key, as a

"VinTagE ReTrO SpacE AgE PuRpLe TelceR BOBO phone Kartell PantoN PoP ABBA"

with a description of

BEAUTIFUL & VERY RARE VinTagE ReTrO SpacE AgE PuRpLe TelceR BOBO phone Kartell PantoN PoP ABBA HURRY UP!!! Observations: It is a beautiful and very rare vintage retro purple telephone Telcer Bobo . DESIGNED BY SERGIO TODESCHINI c.1969 MADE IN ITALY. ABBA CAN BE SEEN POSING WITH 2 "BOBO" PHONES FOR THE COVER SHOT OF THEIR 1973 HIT 'RING RING' It has two very small cracks but does not affect and working normally i tested this. Great for people who collect these vintage retro telephones. I do not ever seen this color model and NEVER SEEN ON EBAY BEFORE AND WILL NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN!!! It is chance for this price get it quickly and added for your collection!!! Condition: It is very good aged but it has two very small cracks but not affect and has one difference color down of the front metal from the years maybe or shine, working normally!!

Now, it seems to be that the ABBA photo of them with 2 phones was either an inside cover or pull out photo from the album, not the cover itself. So, that makes it worth $330 plus $62 shipping to the US from Greece for a cracked, cheap plastic phone? What am I missing here?  :D

TelePlay

Okay, maybe I half don't get it. Maybe it's an ABBA thing. And a slightly different album photo.

This sharper blue BoBo sold for $180 plus $75 shipping from Australia this past July and that seller described it as BOBO by TELCER of Italy. Always associated with ABBA this Iconic BOBO telephone will RING RING (sorry couldn't help myself) on Incoming calls, makes Outgoing calls and has Transmission and Reception. So that is to say in Telephone Talk - This Beautiful Blue BOBO works..!! After over 30 years in use it does possess some pitting of the chrome but this of course could be re-plated. The body of the Telephone also has a couple of small nicks but no cracks or deep scratches. This is one I have owned for many years . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141016849029

Who knew? Seems ABBA sells like WE does .  . .

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on September 08, 2013, 04:28:15 AM
with a description of

BEAUTIFUL & VERY RARE

Yes "Beautiful" was my first thought as well......
well, right after "Knockoff of Northern Telecom's "Alexander Graham Plane"
but...maybe I am wrong, maybe Nortel stole his idea and improved upon it.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 08, 2013, 12:05:41 PMYes "Beautiful" was my first thought as well...... well, right after "Knockoff of Northern Telecom's "Alexander Graham Plane" but...maybe I am wrong, maybe Nortel stole his idea and improved upon it.

As a comparison to the BoBo phone above and for the forum record, "Ze Plane! Ze Plane!" at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190899829904

or otherwise known as the  "Great Vintage Alexander Graham Northern Telecom Rotary Dial Airplane Telephone Phone" which can be yours for at least $65 plus $19 in shipping. A steal!

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul

$525 and it's not even Western Electric!  ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

On the 11th picture, yes, it is worth 59 cents :P
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

GeneGenie

That's a recent addition to my collection. It might not look as hideous as some weird looking phones people were posting but it kind of looks a bit silly, it's part of BT Special Range, which consists mostly of novelty phones including Rondo, Empress, Padua, etc. Here is a video of it ringing that I made: http://youtu.be/21-5dmhWaS0

Russ Kirk

What does S and M stand for in place of the star and pound?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

GeneGenie

S is the Silent button - it mutes the microphone and M is for memory, it redials the last number.