News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - September 2019

Started by Jim Stettler, September 01, 2019, 10:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

****Find of the Month September 2019**** Vote for 2

LarryInMichigan's  Mediterranean blue Kellogg DK-500.   $25 BIN and  $13.40 shipping      eBay
22 (71%)
tubaman's French Telic phone approx US$48 w/shipping                                                   eBay
2 (6.5%)
countryman's Swiss PTT two tone grey Model 50 desk set 19.83 $ US delivered.                 eBay
6 (19.4%)
HarrySmith's 1,000 NOS dial cards   $10.00 shipped                                                        eBay
8 (25.8%)
SunriseEarth's 1962 WE Princess phone  702B in Dark Gold 1/3 = $35.73                          eBay
7 (22.6%)
loblolly986's 1936 Western Electric 202 with 684A subset  $120 plus $19.60 shipping  eBay.
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Jim Stettler

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it. Other than that, any discussion of or comments about the nominated phone are not allowed, FOTM nominations only. As stated below, "Ideally your item would be (first) posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum" and if so, "the forum link if discussed in another topic" is to be included in the nomination reply.

If a significant discussion of a nominated phone starts in a FOTM topic, it will be moved to a new "discussion" topic in the appropriate board and if not, or simply removed.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) other information of importance about the find (why the item is very important to you for any reason).
6) and one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:

--> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

I would like to nominate my soft plastic Mediterranean blue Kellogg K-500.  It was a $25 BIN on ebay (ebay link), and shipping was $13.40.

Larry

tubaman

Jim, just give Larry the prize for September as I can't see there being much contest! ;D

tubaman

Ok, to help make sure there is some hint of an actual contest please may I enter my French Telic phone - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22986.0
It was €25 plus €18 p&p (approx US$48) from eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANCIEN-TELEPHONE-TELIC-ANNEE-1960/143356843411
It's in good original condition and dates from about 1960.
Phones of this period are affectionately (or not?) know as 'The Toads'.
:)

countryman

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and nominate my Swiss PTT two tone grey Model 50 desk set:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23006.0
Asked price on eBay classifieds was 11€ picked up, I offered 18€ (19.83 $ US) delivered.

HarrySmith

I am going to add my large find of NOS dial cards. Not a phone but definetly a needed item for our hobby and a great find for a little over $10.00 shipped!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SunriseEarth

Hello,

Just to add a few more choices here (and because I always like nominating my Princess phone finds), I'm nominating my 1962 WE 702B in Dark Gold.

Separate thread on the phone:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22995.msg231149#msg231149

I found it as part of a Princess lot on eBay, with a BIN of $99.99.  The gold really intrigued me, especially as I typically only see the shiny gold ones.   The other phones were just a bonus (the white one was in great condition, but the red one will definitely be a project phone).   This would have been an August FOTM, but the seller took a very long time shipping.   I was refunded $20 for the handling charges, making the final cost of all three phones $107.18.   As one-third of the lot, the gold phone was about $35.73.

While the gold paint definitely made this a unique find, this is also a very early example of the 702B, as the dates are 12/62 on the base.   The receiver has an earlier date, so I believe the handset was serviced at some point.

eBay link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-VINTAGE-PRINCESS-TELEPHONES-PHONE-LOT-6-ONE-GOLD/254299950812
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

loblolly986

I suppose this is worth entering while I can: the 1936 Western Electric 202 with 684A subset in excellent condition that I acquired recently for $120 plus $19.60 shipping on eBay.

More photos and information here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23035.0

eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-E1-Telephone-With-Ring-Bell-Very-Good-Condition-/333321748660

Jim Stettler

The September 2019 FOTM poll is now available.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

And the winning telephone is:
LarryInMichigan's  Mediterranean blue Kellogg DK-500.   $25 BIN and  $13.40 shipping      eBay
Great find,
Jim
You live, You learn,

loblolly986

Hey Jim, just curious... shouldn't the poll be closed to further votes? Or am I missing something? I checked yesterday and the poll had closed automatically, but now it's open again. Skimming over some past contests, most of the polls as of a year ago are also open.

Jim Stettler

Thanks. The poll should close automatically at the end of the vote. Which it appears to do when I post the winner. I also set it to show the results to anyone, after the poll  closes.
I think this is where the problem pops up. I will have to look into it a little further and see where the problem is.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Jim

Found it, I need to lock the voting when I change the status of the poll. I think Terry  told me that when I took this over,
Thanks again
You live, You learn,