News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally lost number found.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 26, 2009, 11:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

You might recall I have been on a quest to duplicate the photo of me sitting next to the dialess 202. Well I was able to find a matching doiley, but the original phone number still eludes me.
I have contacted the local New York phone company where we lived, No Luck.
I contacted the place where my parents worked, Oneida Limited Silversmiths, No Luck.
I even contacted the local county library, No luck.
Then went all the way to Albany New york for DMV records, No Luck.

I had all but given up. My Moms brother livres in Germany, since he went into the service in 1955, he comes back every few years to visit. this time he came to visit my Mom, and I asked him to come and look at my phone, Radio and train collections.
Then I showed him my photo of when I was 1-1/2 sitting by the vintage 202, and then showed him the new set up I had duplicated. He said, I used to use that phone all the time to call my girl friend from, I even remember the number it was 2079R2.
I asked are you absolutely sure, he said without a bit of doubt, it was the only phone in the family at the time, and I gave that number out many, many times.
Now my display is complete with a reproduction dial card with our original number.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

Great story, it's neat finding something you thought was long gone.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

Good job, Dan.  I was beginning to give up hope that you'd find it.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Very cool.  Funny what people recall after decades of non use eh?  I can still recall my childhood phone number, but often can't recall my cell phone number and have to look it up. 

contraste

Nice story.
I hope you enjoy your 'nostalgia' desk.

Dan/Panther

Upon hearing the number, my Mom immediately remembered it.
My Uncle went on for a time, with memories, just from seeing that phone stand as he remembered it 55 years ago. Stories of old girl friends, and times out on the town. It made my efforts well worth it, even if nothing is ever said about the phone again.
For those few minutes, my 72 year old Uncle, was 17 again. Priceless.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, that is very nice that your Uncle was able to recite that number for you.  Nice job!  I think that's what collecting anything vintage is about.  Connecting with the past which makes you who you are in the present.  Nice story.

Dan/Panther

The telephone stand was originally set up for basically my own enjoyment, and of course, to share if asked about it.
When my Uncle recognized the setup, it really kinda got to me, that things we do can effect others even when we don't think it does. Just to see that moment of recognition, then the smile, and then the memories.
It's really hard to describe the feeling you get, when someone else "GETS IT". It must be similar to what an artist experiences when someone understands what they were trying to say in a painting.
D/P

foots

Great story, and glad to see you found your old number. I have but one question, what exactly is that horshoe thing next to the phone?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan/Panther

Foots;
It was an ashtray originally, the small ash catcher is missing.
D/P

AET

D/P, I love this story!  I'm also so glad that you were able to complete your display there finally! 

My dad still mentions his childhood phone number as well.  HOpkins 6-5633.
- Tom

Tonyrotary

That is awsome! I have no doubt your Uncle remembers the number even after all those years. I still remember mine and I even use part of it on my combination on the electronic lock on my gun safe.

I am glad you your display is complete, now its photo time. :)

foots

Dan/Panther, is that a gossip bench? How 'bout a picture of it?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Ellen

QuoteHe said, I used to use that phone all the time to call my girl friend from, I even remember the number it was 2079R2.
D/P

But how did your uncle call ANYone on a phone with no dial?  Oh, I guess he asked Miss Sally at the Exchange for Boopsie's line?

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Ellen on June 05, 2009, 09:28:46 AM
QuoteHe said, I used to use that phone all the time to call my girl friend from, I even remember the number it was 2079R2.
D/P

But how did your uncle call ANYone on a phone with no dial?  Oh, I guess he asked Miss Sally at the Exchange for Boopsie's line?

Did you date my Uncle ??? ;D ;D
D/P