News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

You were Right Stub.

Started by Kenny C, July 24, 2010, 08:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Ok I got a call today from a friend of my dads. He told me he had an old black phone for me and i asked him the usual questions."What does the case say" he said it didnt have nothing on it. I said "what does the handset say"? He said "BELL SYSTEM  made by Western Electric F1" i was like ok i will be there at six. So we hung up and I had to pick the garden before I could go. I was picking as fast as i could lol :). We got there and I walked up on the porch and there sat a nice dirty 302! i picked it up and looked at the handset parts, cap  5-48, reciver 5-3-48, transmiter cap 5-48,transmitter 5-48, base 5-48-A, ringer 5-48-A,network (sorry dont know the name) II-48, Dial 5H 5-48, handset cord 52, line cord 52. I love it. And the best part is i got it for the whopping price of $10 dollars.

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Way to go Kenny (yeah Dude!).  ;D ;D ;D  That 302 has a rare Z operator numbers wheel. I am sure you will bring it to life soon. I smell a bonus card under the card holder.
Jorge

Kenny C

i am learning i will be up till 3 working on it has a 12 1/2 foot long line cord
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Nice one, Kenny!  For only $10 too.  Looks like all original dates except for the cords which were often replaced.  Looks from the photo with the letter A that it was made in Atlanta (I think).  I'm with Jorge on the dial card.  Did you find an older one hidden below??

stub

Kenny
           See, I told you good deals are out there ,you just have to be patient!!!!
           I know you will have it working before morning. Great find !!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

having alot of problems with the dial some one had GLUED it in there and i had to get out the glue and it will only turn so far then it will stop it just needs a good clening but i am afraid i am gonna break something does any one know what the problem is i think the little pulse maker (dont know the name) needs oiling?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

yes it has an extra dialcard under it . no exchange just 6-1951
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

the speed arm does not go back when you turn the dial
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

Given the extent of the crud in the phone, I think the whole dial needs a good cleaning and oiling.  Was it really glued in place?  I see the normal screws in the photo, but they also used to use a rubber gasket between the dial and the case, and these often "melt" cementing the dial in place.

Check out Jorge's post about cleaning and oiling a #5 dial over here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2803.0

That should get the dial working properly again.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

took the dial apart and oiled it and now the dial wont stay back it keeps turning to a certain spot and staying
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

never mind i fixed it the dial is fixed now on to th rest of the work
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Good job on the dial Kenny! What was wrong with it?  ??? ??? ???

Jorge

Kenny C

just needed some oil and cleaning
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

finger wheel is in the oven now got the paint great. hope it comes out like it went in. will have the dial complete tommorrow evening. cleaning contacts while it is baking.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

here is the fingerwheel repainted.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010