News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal 302 from Craigslist

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 26, 2010, 11:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

A few weeks ago, I found this phone on craigslist.  The seller in New York City wanted $30 for this together with a 1960/70s black 500.  I emailed him and offered to pay him $33 for just the 302 and shipping, and I explained how he could ship it Priority Mail for $10.70 and have a free box delivered to him.  He replied asking for $36, so I agreed.  The picture in the craigslist posting was tiny and blurry as they usually are, but the phone appeared to be in good condition and was obviously metal as evidenced by the obligatory paint chipping on the cradle ears.

Last week, the phone arrived, and I was happy to find it as I had hoped.  The base plate, inductor, condenser, ringer, dial (5H), and dial plate are all dated 38.  The handset, receiver, and transmitter are dated 47 and the caps are dated 52 and 53, and the cords are both 53.  I finished cleaning, polishing, and reassembling it today.  I touched up the chipped areas with a black marker.  Here are a couple of poor quality pictures.  The number card came with the phone.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Larry:

38 is a very early 302.  Can you describe the metal cover in more detail, or better yet, look for some tell-tale early 302 earmarks, which would be:

Short "ears" on the cradle, and a vented hand-hold in the back where you grab the phone to pick it up.  Also a set of hookswitch plungers that are shorter, or have a shallower travel than the standard 302.  This goes along with the shorter ears.

I cannot tell by the photo, but the photo appears to have the standard ears.

If, by chance that it did have the shorter ears and the vented hand-hold, you would have one of the real early 302's.

The spade tips on yours are soldered on, rather than crimped, and you have one that has the early capacitor holder and the earlier ringer.  These, of course scream "early".

-Bill G

Wallphone

I know that the short ears and plungers along with the vent in the handle cavity in the back were on the 1937 models. Did this "feature" carry over for a few months into the 1938 model?
Dougpav

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

The ears are about the same height as those on my plastic late 1940s 302, and there is no vent in the hand-hold.  The hook switch plungers are shorter and have less travel than those on the later 302 though.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, your ringer has that early clapper ball too.  Kind of reminds me of an old bullet ball on for an old musket or something similar.  They're not uncommon but definitely one of the older ones.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny,

I didn't notice a date in the shell when I had it apart.  I will have to look when I reopen it. 

Larry