News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The 202 that got me hooked

Started by rbouch, January 16, 2015, 03:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

Here are some pictures of the 202 and ringer that got me completely hooked on these old phones.  We bought it originally on its own because we had been told at the shop we bought it from it would work fine as is, just not ring.

Then we found out it needed a ringer to work properly so we bought the subset (634).

I was totally amazed by the quality of this old equipment and browsing the internet found this forum.

I realize I could polish the handset, but that day will come.  The dial is a 4H.  I have had to rewire the inside to accommodate the ringer, so please weigh in if you see something totally wrong - I am a complete beginner at this.

Today a contact broke inside the handset and a post from poplar1 in this forum helped me figure out what was wrong and how to fix it.

What a great forum...

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome to the forum (although you aren't technically new anymore! ;))! You have a beautiful phone, with a really nice subset to go along with it!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

rbouch

thanks,

maybe not completely new, but with a ton to learn.

tallguy58

You can't go wrong here.

Great bunch of people
Cheers........Bill

rbouch

Yes,

Everybody seems so helpful.

By the way - that's an awesome avatar...growing up in "Northern Electric" territory you bring back memories with that logo.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: tallguy58 on January 16, 2015, 07:09:06 PM

Great bunch of people

That's an understatement. What's great about this group is that there are no exceptions among us, everyone is very friendly and so eager to help out! Everyone respects each other, and there are never any fights here!
Christian Petterson

Bill

That is a beautiful phone. I would love to have it. I am a sucker for both the phone and the E-1 handset.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but technically that phone is not a 202. It is a D-1 (or minor variant), a number which should be stamped on the back of the neck. It is the connection to the 634 subset that makes it a 202 - a different subset could make it a 102.

Again, a beautiful phone. Thanks for the pictures.

Bill

rbouch

Yup, you're right.

It has D1 on the desk stand (although it is very faint from the thickness of paint from what I can see.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: rbouch on January 29, 2015, 11:33:04 AM
Yup, you're right.

It has D1 on the desk stand (although it is very faint from the thickness of paint from what I can see.
The D1s have an oval base, while the B1s have a round base.
Christian Petterson

rbouch

Thanks Bill for your kind words on the phone.  I feel the same as you and, when I first saw it in the shop I felt like I was looking at a new puppy.

I had just finished telling my wife we didn't need any "stuff" in our house and then she showed me the phone.

As you can imagine she has been reminding me ever since about my initial reaction compared to my reaction once I saw the thing.

I just couldn't believe something this functional was still in such great condition.

I still can't, really,  and I'll say it again - this forum is the best.