News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Diagram

Started by crossedwire, December 04, 2011, 08:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossedwire

Hope no one is offended by a push button phone question.  ;D  Would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for a Western Electric 4293 network? Someone gave me a 1984 wall phone and attached to it was a bird's nest of wires from a plantronics head jack set. After removing the jack set there are three wires which need a home. I'm not sure if any of the other wires were switched around or not or even if the phone is any good. If bad I'll just scrap it for parts. Here is a rundown on each of the wires and the terminals they are attached to. Or not attached to:

Western Electric CS2554BMPG Wall Phone

Handset jack:         Red wire connected to R
                Green wire connected to S
                Black Wire to ?
                White wire to ?

Ringer:              Red wire connected to K
                 Black wire connected to L1

Line Jack:              Red wire connected to A
                 Green wire connected to L1

Cradle Switch:       Brown wire connected to back of keypad
                 Yellow wire connected to A
                 Red wire connected to S
                 White wire connected to F
                 Black wire to ?
                 Green wire to L1

Touchtone Keypad:   Blue connected to B
                 White connected to GN
                 Red connected to T
                 Black connected to RR
                 Green connected to F
                 Red/Green connected to R
                 White/Blue connected to S
                 Orange/Black connected to C

Attached is a drawing of the 4293 network.

teka-bb

There are several schematics for the 2554 phone in the TCI library, here is one of them:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2824&Itemid=2

If that turns out to be the wrong one you can try searching for the other ones by typing 2554 in the search box on the TCI library site.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

crossedwire

I think I've viewed that site before and the diagrams only cover the 425 and 4010 networks. I couldn't find  the schematics for a 4293 network.

Phonesrfun

They are the same inside and as far as the terminals go.  Just laid out differently.

-Bill G

crossedwire

I tried wiring the handset jack the way it's wired on the 4228 network with Red to (T), White to (R), Green to (S) and Black to (B). The phone will call out and ring but the other party can't hear me. I can hear them. The transmit part of the handset is dead. I tried the handset on other phones and it is good.

G-Man

Quote from: crossedwire on December 05, 2011, 08:21:05 AM
I tried wiring the handset jack the way it's wired on the 4228 network with Red to (T), White to (R), Green to (S) and Black to (B). The phone will call out and ring but the other party can't hear me. I can hear them. The transmit part of the handset is dead. I tried the handset on other phones and it is good.
As a temporary measure, disconnect the R-G lead from network terminal R.
Next, disconnect the Red handset wire from T and reconnect it to network terminal R.
This will by-pass the switches in the dial and will show if the problem is due to dirty contacts.

Thanks.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on December 05, 2011, 12:45:20 PM
Quote from: crossedwire on December 05, 2011, 08:21:05 AM
As a temporary measure, disconnect the R-G lead from network terminal R.
Next, disconnect the Red handset wire from T and reconnect it to network terminal R.
This will by-pass the switches in the dial and will show if the problem is due to dirty contacts.

Thanks.

Revisiting the schematic indicates a better method would be to disconnect the red handset lead and connect it directly to the the R terminal on the network instead. While the other method will also work to indicate if the transmitter and network are working properly, you will not be able to dial out in the meantime.

crossedwire

G-Man, I unhooked the red handset wire from (T) and hooked it (R) and it everything works normally. I assume this means a problem with the keypad? Any thoughts on what to do for the keypad?

Phonesrfun

There is a switch pile-iup on the back surface of the dial printed circuit board.  From the symptoms described, it would seem that one of the several switch contacts is not making when the dial is not being pressed for a number.  Specifically, the contacts where the red touchtone wire is soldered.

Now that you know the phone works with the red handset wire connected to R, connect it back to T where the red from the topuchtone pad connects.  While not pressing any key at all, you should normally be able to hear yourself when you talk or blow into the transmitter.  With the symptoms described, while blowing, touch and lightly wiggle the switch contacts on the back and see if just slight pressure will cause it to work.  that may point you to the actual switch contacts within the pile-up that are not closing.  Perhaps a switch contact just needs cleaning.  If so, just use a business card or some other heavy paper to clean the contacts with while they are closed (together).  Don't use anything any more abrasive than that.  The contact may also need some adjustment to close properly.

Just some guesses, without actually being there.....

-Bill G

crossedwire

The keypad for this phone is like a tv remote pad. I'm wondering if replacing the keypad would be the best way to go. Have a look at these pictures and see what you think.

Phonesrfun

This is a totally newer style than the one with switches that I was thinking.  At this point, I have no other sugestions, but someone else still might.  I do know that there were a bezillion of the newer dials like yours that were made, so finding a replacement should be no problem.

-Bill G

crossedwire

I took a keypad from of a junker phone I got at the thrift store a while back and everything is working great. Been tinkering with this phone for four months. I want to thank everyone for all your help. Couldn't have got it working without your tips. Thanks again.