News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial screws sizes (Plus other telephone screw sizes!)

Started by Greg G., January 28, 2013, 05:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Does anyone know any of the following values?

Quote from: poplar1 on May 02, 2015, 11:46:02 AM
Need info on screw sizes for multi-slot pay phones:

Western Electric/Northern Electric:

Coin Vault Door (14- or 30-type lock)

Large screw for coin chute

Upper Housing Lock (10-G, 10-H or 21-B)

Automatic Electric:

Vault door (10-L type lock)

Coin chute

Upper Housing Lock (29-S)

Thanks

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

My NE233 has a 21B upper lock fitted with four 6-40 NC pan headed, slotted machine screws.

Pourme

Does anyone know the proper screw size used to attach the base to a SC oil can stick? I need 3 of them..
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

intagas

I'm not coming up with 4-36 screws for dials but 1/4 x3/48 like the finger stops.

cccp68801

Did you ever find the dial mounting screws? I could use around 30 or so.

Dick

Jester

Don't know why I never posted this, but some may find it helpful.  I managed to find a thread chaser many years ago, size 4-36.  Just as important, I also found the handle this die fits in.  Since 4-40 is easier to buy, I have found it handy have this to run them through to ensure they fit my dials.  I prefer to alter the threads on a replacement screw over running a 4-40 tap into my dial mount ports.  Since it is a resize, some of the recut threads will show a loss in fullness.  This has never caused me problems-- every screw I have treated this way started fine and tightened perfectly.  I found this by chance at a local flea market-- one of my more useful buys.
Stephen

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jester on January 07, 2018, 01:54:16 PM
Don't know why I never posted this, but some may find it helpful.  I managed to find a thread chaser many years ago, size 4-36.  Just as important, I also found the handle this die fits in.  Since 4-40 is easier to buy, I have found it handy have this to run them through to ensure they fit my dials.  I prefer to alter the threads on a replacement screw over running a 4-40 tap into my dial mount ports.  Since it is a resize, some of the recut threads will show a loss in fullness.  This has never caused me problems-- every screw I have treated this way started fine and tightened perfectly.  I found this by chance at a local flea market-- one of my more useful buys.

Great hack,
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kleenax

Quote from: poplar1 on September 26, 2015, 07:00:25 PM
Does anyone know any of the following values?

Hey David;

going over posts that I missed in the past:

Machine screws for NE and WE 3-slot vault door locks: 3/8" long - 1/4" x 28 screws
Upper housing locks on all 3-slots:                              1/4" long - #6-40 screws
All of these machine screws are slotted round-headed screws for authenticity with the exception of newer WE/NE 3-slots where you would sometimes find allen-head screws in the vault door locks.

Automatic Electric 10L vault door lock bars:                 1/4" or 3/8" long - #8-40 screws - slotted/flat head (these are also the same size for fitting the coin chute into a Gray Paystation cast iron top housing except the screws would be round/slotted tops on the screws.

Gray Paystation Co. top housing).
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

poplar1

Greg G.

Adding to this screwy thread.  A potential buyer was interested in my brassed-out 151 stick.  The original transmitter parts need to be reinstalled.  I made an effort to get a shot of one of the screws that hold it in place.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

The housings on later Western Electric 500s, 2500s, and Princess telephones did not use machine screws. Rather, they had coarse thread screws that went directly into the plastic housing.

At my local hardware store (East Point, GA ACE hardware) I found what I believe to be the correct size, but they are "sheet metal screws" and have more threads per inch:

#6 x 3/4     (for 500s and 2500s)

#4 x 3/4     (for 702 or 2702 Princess)

Does anyone have a source for the coarse thread screws in the above sizes?

A guy who worked at the WE Shreveport Works said that he had suggested switching to the insertless housings much earlier, but they waited until later to introduce them,  because they didn't want both types of housings to exist in the field. The housings stamped "AT&T" (late 1983 up) apparently all use these self-tapping screws. Not sure when they were introduced.

Darkstar2006

you can find 3/48 and 4/36 screws from a Lionel Parts dealer Train Tender www.ttender.com/list/handscrews.htm  is one of them.
Why do people with cell phones use "old phone" as their ring tone?

-Dave S.

TelePlay

This is not a source for self tapping metal screws for plastic but it tells you everything you will ever want or need to know about them.

And, yes, the thread pitch is spaced greater than sheet metal screws to reduce the pressure on the plastic when screwed in.

Interesting fact in the article is that the duty cycle for insertless plastic mounts is 10 cycles. I think we have all experienced that running into a stripped screw mount.

https://engineeringproductdesign.com/knowledge-base/self-tapping-screws-for-plastics/

Darkstar2006

I came across this thread while looking for info on screws WE used. I was looking for info on what screw was used on the wire retention clip of a WE400 headset receiver. The screw also holds the coil in place. #4 anytwisk is too small a #6 doesn't fit into the hole at all.

So anyway I thought that even though this an old thread, maybe someone might still be looking for slotted screws of those screw sizes.   
Why do people with cell phones use "old phone" as their ring tone?

-Dave S.

rdelius