"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which phone works with my subset?

Started by cloyd, May 09, 2015, 09:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Hello friends,
I picked up a WE 684-BA metal subset for $10.  What does it work with?  I would love to have a WE202 phone and I need a subset for my Kellogg 700.  If my subset is good for either one, I'll keep it.
Thank you for the help!
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cchaven

The 684 works great with the 202.  I'd say $10 was a great price.

Jeff

unbeldi

Paying less than $30 for a good subset is a great find anytime, these days. They can easily fetch $50 to $80 in nice condition.

The 684-BA has a high-impedance ringer in it, which is more load-friendly on today's often VoIP-ATA-based subscriber loops with limited ringing voltage.

It was made for the 202 and 211 type hand telephones in the 1930s, and can also be used with 151AL desk stands.

Although your 700 can be adapted to work with it, it's not an ideal match.

cloyd

Thank you everyone for your input.  This sounds like all good news.  I was afraid that the biased ringer was as useless as a frequency ringer.  Am I right to interpret "more load-friendly on today's often VoIP-ATA-based subscriber loops with limited ringing voltage" to mean that it is capable of working on my phone line?  (My other old phones work on it.)

I love ALL of the phones that were mentioned for this subset especially the space saver.  Now I know which ones to buy!

cloyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885