News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System Chime ringer, as removed from service

Started by Jim Stettler, June 12, 2015, 02:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I went to an estate sale today, it was about 4 blocks from my house. They had retiredthe 554 about 5years ago , but still had a WE bell system "bell Chime" (set to chime) hooked up. I asked if I coule buy it and got a yes answer.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

I returned and pulled the chime and paid $2.00 for it. I couldn't find anydates on the chime and the cover emblem was a '39 bell (pre-1964) they told me it was original to the house which was built in 1963. The downsides were : the house smelled heavy of cats and the cover was sticky with long ago nicotine. The upside was it was  still in service since 1963, I removed it myself and now  own it for $2.00,as a healthy bonus I walked to the house to remove it.

Sorry no pictures.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

That's great, it's always interesting when uninstalling original telephone equipment from a home.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a YouTube video on one of mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzs0CLbYmJs

Ben

19and41

Good thing there were no critters living in it.  Here the wasps get into any enclosed space they can,
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke