News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New North 541

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 12, 2009, 04:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I think it looks great, you did a good job on reviving this old phone.  Funny that it needed the external cap to ring, maybe it's not in the network.

JorgeAmely

McHeath:

The capacitor is part of the network, between terminals A and K, but it looks like it is damaged. Probably due to lightning strike.

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Larry, it's a very handsome phone.  I'd like to get one of those myself.  Nice job on making a sow's ear into a silk purse.

LarryInMichigan

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks.  When I bid on this phone, I was afraid that it might be beyond hope, but since I rarely see these, I took a chance.  It turned out that 95% of the problem was the dull, rough paint which someone had applied for some unimaginable reason.  Removing the paint did wonders, and the shell and finger wheel plastic is quite soft, so sanding and polishing were easy.  I was also fortunate that, aside from the ringer issues, everything else works well.  My big problem now is that, with all of these phones on my desk, I have little room left for working.  I still wonder why nobody else bid on the phone.  I don't think that $15 was really very much for it.

When I have some more time, I will try to post pictures of my SC 1543 brothers which underwent similar transitions, but without paint, thankfully.

Larry

bingster

It's more than reasonable--that's a very pretty phone!
= DARRIN =