News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm giving an oldie the gel treatment.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 06, 2009, 01:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Good morning. I am very pleased with the results. I wiped of the phones and lightly hit them with a little turtle wax F21. Gorgeous!

Caps underside for comparison:

Caps post peroxide

Underside of housing for comparison

Prewhitening final shot 

[Post whitening final shot

The only yellow left is the cord and the dial card!. If you want to shrink these, pics feel free. I don't know how to do this! I think the cord must be done now!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Hey Dan/Panther. You will LOVE how white ones work out. That's what pumped me up the most. I have done 5 white ones and a princess. I just haven't got around to selling them yet.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, thanks for the photos.  Nice results.  I'm looking forward to experimenting with this myself. 

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Phonesrfun

Hi folks:

I went to the store(s) yesterday and bought all the ingredients and made up a batch last night.  I have a white hard plastic 500 body, handset, caps, and dial number ring that have been sitting now for about 12 hours.  The first four I routinely re-wetted it; then I went to bed.

It just has not progressed very far, and the phone was not the worst in the world, by any means to begin with.  So, I am looking for suggestions before I mix up the next batch.

I used the "Lorne's Recepe" from the Retr0Bright website at www.retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

Here are the ingedients I used:

Hydrogen Peroxide 40 diluted with half again as much water to hopefully make 30% (200ml and 100ml respectively)
2 level teaspoons of Xanthan Gum
1 teaspoon of Glycerin
1/4 teaspoon of OxiClean

I used this method because the idea of pre-mixing the OxiClean in just a tiny bit of warm water to get it to better dissolve made sense to me.

I even went to the Goodwill to get a junker blender for the project.   :)

I brushed it on with at paintbrush; dutifully wore rubber gloves, and I did not attempt any do-it-myself teeth whitening.  After all, I am an accountant; not a dentist.

It was about 75 in the house all night long, so I imagined that would be warm enough to do without any other heat source.

I do not have a UV lamp, and I did this at night so there was no UV source or any additional heat source, other than room temp.  Myabe I need to do this during the day outside, but the last few days here in Eastern Washington State, we have had thunderstorms, so there has not been much sun.

So,  I am wondering why it did not go as expected.  Here are some things I am wondering about:

1.  The Oxi part of the receipe seems so small compared to the rest.  But I am no chemist, so what the heck.
2.  Do I need a heat source?
3.  What about UV?  I have seen more than one person write to say that it works without.

So, that's my story and I ain't changin it.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
First, I think most everyone here has been using the formula Dan posted.
I don't use no stinking Oxyclean, I used Soda Wash, I think it's basically Sodium Carbonate, NOT sodium BIcarbonate.
Secondly, the light source is not so much for heat as it is for the light. The process is light activated, but I did not use a light source because honestly, I overlooked that part. The Dentist uses UV light to help the process along. I had great results without the light. However and I don't know if this was good enough, I have a flourescent light over my kitchen sink which is on all night, the phone was under that light.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Thank you D/P.

I will go get some Arm and Hammer washing soda, and I will put this under a flourescent light.  I'll use the formula that seems to work for everyone else.

Results to follow....

-Bill
-Bill G

HobieSport

Has anyone tried using direct sunlight as a UV activator?  Just wondering.
-Matt

Dan

I have done the sun, but I prefer a 100 watt bulb, it is more consistant and controlled .
I am only doing  one  handset voice cap and leaving the earcap alone for comparison sake on a 1956 WE500 soft ivory. If I like the results, I'll do the whole phone. I'll be glad to take detailed pictures of the entire process if you want this to be posted in the telephone troubleshooting and repair section. Let me know if you guys want this. I'll start on this tonight. I'm too excited about my 1950 I found today! Look @ the other thread.

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Just a suggestion.
If you decide to document the process, show the entire process, right from photos of the materials, before and after shots of the phone etc.

D/P

Dan

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Just suggestions, I'm a nobody around here.... ;D
D/P

Dan

You are not sir! I put up a brand new thread in the "telephone troubleshooting and repair" section called  Peroxide Treatment Detailed instructions. Hopefully others will learn how fun it is to get'em purty like we have!

Dan/Panther

I've done my white Princess twice, both overnight applications.
The phone is considerably whiter, however it still has a slight yellow tint.
I'm not getting the dramatic yellow to pure white I see in others photos. The Princess is hard plastic, whereas my Pink phone was soft, is that the difference ?
D/P

JorgeAmely

To those that have done the peroxide treatment, I am curious to know if the original shine and finish goes away or stays.

Do you still recommend polishing with Novus or similar products?
Jorge