News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OT-Western Electric 293A project

Started by Sargeguy, January 01, 2011, 12:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I shouldn't jump the gun because I am still working on the oak 293 that I cannibalized for the nickel plated parts.  I have stripped the original finish. 

I saved the original decal by masking around it and spraying it with a few coats of varnish, then masking over it when I applied the stripper. 

I switched out the worn nickel parts for these much shinier ones.  The mouthpiece has a decent sized chip.  Its an early one that has shrunk a little so it won't screw in snugly. 

The receiver is a 14? that came with the walnut 293A.

I am just waiting on a switch and hook that should be in the mail as we speak, and I need a ringer.  I need recommendations for what to use as a finish-so far I have just done walnut with Restor-finish.  I am thinking of using the rest of the varnish I used on the label.  Suggestions?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Sargeguy.....This looks to be a beauty. Restor a finish comes in clear which I use a lot as just my final coat. I was never a poly fan, I thought it left the wood too shiny. You might want to just try the clear as your only application. The Howard's is just right and applies easily with a cloth and the excess can just be wiped off. You are getting quite a nice collection of old wood....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

What was the original finish, shellac?  It certainly looks like it.  I suppose I could do an accurate restoration and just use shellac, then sand it lightly to tone down the shine
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Hmmm..maybe I will hold off on stripping the black one just yet:

http://tinyurl.com/23j9u8o
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

NorthernMan

If i remember correctly aren't the original ingredients and methods from the manufacturer used on these box's somewhere on the internet.