News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg swirl on EBAY

Started by Pourme, March 22, 2019, 04:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I was told that swirls happened when plastics mix was changed in the machines. Because I have seen it in other molding process with parts having a mixture of color from what was to what was added.
I also heard that sometimes plastics were gathered ground up and remelted to make other parts where it didn't matter what the pieces looked like.
Has anyone else heard that?
But that Kellogg set looked authentic, not painted.
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on March 24, 2019, 10:30:09 AM
But that Kellogg set looked authentic, not painted.

It's not painted, just have a look at the chips a long the side on the bottom.

Key2871

I hadn't noticed those. At the same time it would take a real artist to paint swirls on that set.
KEN

Butch Harlow

My other collecting passion, Pez dispensers, is filled with information about injection molding of plastics. There are extremely rare swirled/marbled dispensers out there that have prices well into the hundreds of dollars. There also is a phenomenon referred to as test/bootleg dispensers.  These are regular dispensers shot in unusual colors and frequently swirled. They never appeared in stores or in packaging.  Speculation abound as to the purpose of their manufacture. I am pretty certain that these phones were made under similar mysterious circumstances. I have seen transmitter cups in g type handsets made from multicolored swirl plastic which is obviously an effort to use up all the waste plastic. I think some employees decided to make shells as well. They could never be sold in boxes that way, so they obviously went out the back door.
Butch Harlow

Pourme

~

Auction ended and the phone sold for a respectable $308.99+.

I wasn't expecting a price that high, shows what I know. The first bidder hung in there and won the bid.

Did anyone here get it?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

I watched it, but with the difference in the dollar from US to CDN plus the cost to ship put it out of my price range.

Still it would have been a good match for my handset.

Butch Harlow

No, I didn't get it, but I apparently cost someone a little money. I did get the same seller's metal body RedBar. It was a much more thrifty 28.00.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Wow, that's a large wad of cash, I guess these expect this kind of return? Now I know why I never had one, because I couldn't afford it.. well it was a nice looking set, congrats to the person who got it.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on March 25, 2019, 10:53:25 AM
Wow, that's a large wad of cash,  congrats to the person who got it.
Thanks,
It was a lot more than I wanted to pay (about 2x), but I was sitting on some overtime cash from last month.
I don't expect I can get that much  money out of it anytime soon.
It is a nice addition to my swirl collection  and to my K500 collection.
Jim Stettler
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Ahh so you got it. Nice Jim, I think it looks cool.
KEN

Quote from: Jim Stettler on March 25, 2019, 05:48:45 PM
Thanks,
It was a lot more than I wanted to pay (about 2x), but I was sitting on some overtime cash from last month.
I don't expect I can get that much  money out of it anytime soon.
It is a nice addition to my swirl collection  and to my K500 collection.
Jim Stettler

Sorry Jim, I hit you with the second last bid of $250.51 that was my top dollar.  :-[
I hope what comes in the mail this week makes up for it. lol

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on March 22, 2019, 04:27:40 AM
~

Why aren't collectors fighting over this one? third party?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unusual-ITT-KELLOGG-green-Swirl-Colored-Body-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-Set/163602192821
Value of swirl sets depend on many things
Some factors that come to mind are:
Brand is Important. WE is king.
how old  is it and is it hard wire or mod
Condition is very important. NOS in Box is the best. Damage will keep many deep pockets from bidding

Matching is a huge factor. The more exact matching  plastic raises the value
On a 500 set there are 6 different pieces of plastic
Housing
handset handle
transmitter cap
receiver cap
the grip under the cradle
Dial ring

The easiest parts to find are the housing and/or handset handle
The caps are next
The grip and number ring are almost impossible

The photo below sold high and the caps don't match. I don't know about the grip.
The handset and housing may be from different runs. The phone was 1955 which helped value
So if you have a full matching NOS in Box WE 500 set, then the deep pocket WE collectors will bid high
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.