News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 please give me info...

Started by LongBeachFox, October 11, 2010, 12:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just noticed that there  is an old AE handset in the cradle.  If that handset has the built-in inductor, all that should be needed is a capacitor from Radio Shack.

Can you unscrew the receiver cap from the handset?  The brass ring unscrews fro the handset.  It it is stuck, try heating it with a hair dyer or heat gun.  Posting a picture of the inside of the receiver capsule (under the diaphragm) would be helpful.

Larry

LongBeachFox

The brass rings are heavily worn, someone had the bright idea to use a plumbers wrench to unscrew them.

You're saying without an induction coil this speaker might die? I did get a bit of a burnt chip smell when I hooked it up earlier.

LarryInMichigan

That looks like the receiver with the induction coil like the one in Jorge's picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricModelAE34A3Telephone#5482392863328701522.  I would expect that connecting that receiver directly to the phone line without a capacitor could destroy it.  By carefully adapting the wiring diagram for Jorge's AE 34 (also in that same album), and using a 1 μF capacitor from Radio Shack, you should be able to make that phone work without the need for a separate subset box.  Of course, that handset is not the correct one for that base.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Good catch! All  you need is a 1uF capacitor. This capacitor is good for the induction coil and the ringer simultaneously.
Jorge