News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Problems with Gray Western 150G

Started by Haf, September 19, 2017, 03:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

The relay is stamped 60V, usually thees are for 110V?
dsk

RotarDad

Haf - If Poplar1 is correct about the wiring harness and H dial, that would explain why you found a jumper wire on the dial.  Stan can probably confirm, but perhaps that jumper should be reinstalled.   It would be great to have the original dial back in the phone.....
Paul

Haf

The original dial is back in the phone again, tested, ist just to slow, if you speed up a little with your finger ist will dial out without problems. What I don't understand, as long as wired only to my PBX everything is working, if called, bell from subset ring loud and clear. I have a dial tone when lifting receiver, can answer and make calls and going on hook again properly.
This wouldn't be the case if something i wired wrong or missing at the dial wiring, Right?

Have to go to town shop some things for weekend, will be back soon.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

Nice, and I remember that you are anlegg to tune a final.
dsk

poplar1

Quote from: Haf on September 23, 2017, 12:36:42 PM
The original dial is back in the phone again, tested, ist just to slow, if you speed up a little with your finger ist will dial out without problems.

You can adjust the dial speed (assuming it is not just clogged up with dirt and old oil):
See paragraph 3.15. Instead of a 260 tool, you can block the governor from moving with two screwdrivers. Loosen the governor adjusting screw, then move the adjusting arm counter-clockwise (towards F in the drawing): [F=Fast S=Slow]

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/western-electric/doc_details/2385-dials-501-162-100-tl
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Haf

Poplar1
isn't that instruction for a 5H dial? I don't see a adjusting srew on mine. Or do I just have to turn the governor a little bit?

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

poplar1

The adjustment method is the same for a 2-type, 4-type, and 5-type dial. The screw is inside the governor. The screw needs to be near the top of the governor before you try to loosen it. Once it is loosened, you can move the adjusting arm.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Haf

Thank you very much, will do so tomorrow. 1:20 am, time to sleep now.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

Today I started taking a closer look at the dial. First changed the dial center card, Stan was so kind making me the one I wanted (if anyone has a WAtkns 9 original card I'm interested!). My dial plate seems to be one of the early plastic 149H dated II 37 in good shape. Now going on to adjust and oil the dial.

Keep you up to date,

Haf

p.s. still don't know why some pictures shows sideways...
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

kleenax

Quote from: Haf on September 23, 2017, 07:28:39 AM
Stan,
started today with my try to adjust the relay. Ok, that's th result so far:

Picture one, no coin, hard to see but no contakt between inner and outer ground contact spring. Controller shows power light only.

Picture two, coin inserted, contact between inner and outer ground contact spring, controller shows three lights, after 60 seconds jumps from return light to collect light but..no dial tone, and no firing the relay.

Ahh, and with twisted looking blade/metal I meant the coin trigger lever spring...someone has tried to bend before.

I don't know why the pictures are turned sideways...tried two times but always same result, sorry for that.

Haf

Haf;

Just looking over this thread, and noticed the pics of your 2-coil relay. That relay is a reproduction made by Dick Pitzer, and as I recall, the "bent" magnet in them just didn't magnetize too well, and thus doesn't work as it should. It's possible that your coil is basically for looks only, and thus will never work as the electromagnet that it should. I may be wrong on these coils. Maybe Payphone Installer (Jim Engle) can help if you are still having problems.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Haf

Ray

I know those relays are repro ones made by Dick Pitzer, the payphone once was from his collection before Mark got it. And you are right, that  relay in it didn't work at all (there was no way magnetizing new bent "magnets" so there was a small magnet attached from the back, but that wasn't the only problem). But Stan was able to modify one of those repro relays to work and send it to me. It's working fine with his controller now. I really appreciate his experience and knowledge. So everything is fine now.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

kleenax

Quote from: Haf on February 24, 2018, 07:56:32 PM
Ray

I know those relays are repro ones made by Dick Pitzer, the payphone once was from his collection before Mark got it. And you are right, that  relay in it didn't work at all (there was no way magnetizing new bent "magnets" so there was a small magnet attached from the back, but that wasn't the only problem). But Stan was able to modify one of those repro relays to work and send it to me. It's working fine with his controller now. I really appreciate his experience and knowledge. So everything is fine now.

Haf

Excellent!  It would indeed be great to hear that click-click of that relay sending coins on their way down!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Haf

yes, everything working like should, returns and collects coins and still optical time period correct until I get a complete original one.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

Completely forgot to post a picture of the now metropolitan daisy face.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Ktownphoneco

Haf  ....   Attached is a copy of the exchange names used throughout the Bell System.     I'm sure it's been posted before, but nonetheless, if anyone else wants a copy, here it is.   Click to enlarge.

Jeff