News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary iphone

Started by JimH, December 01, 2009, 02:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I didn't believe it until I saw it.....Now I want one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr2APizuXZg
Jim H.

AET

My friend has an iPhone and this is my favorite feature. Makes me want one.
- Tom

Dan/Panther

This has long reaching implications here.
Once the new generations catch on as to how to use dial phones, and the novelty of them, watch the demand for home units soar.
The price of phone collecting is about to go up....
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

Buy Low, sell high.  Just realized a slight irony, that my first reply was written while online on my iPod touch.
- Tom

bwanna

now i know what i want for christmas ;)
donna

Tonyrotary

Who would've thunk it?....lol

bellsystemproperty

You think that's cool, wait until you see this. It is a 500 that has been converted to connect to a cell phone via Bluetooth. You dial just like you would with a landline rotary and it calls out via your cell phone. You answer the call with the 500 too, and the bells actually ring. It's powered by a battery in the phone where the network would go. It's pricey ($250), but awesome nonetheless. It's made by a company called Sparkfun, you can see (or buy it and brag about it on the forum ;) it here- http://tinyurl.com/78trzn

JorgeAmely

You could easily move all that hardware to any phone with a 20 Hz straight line ringer.
Jorge

bellsystemproperty

You could, but the 500 is just such a perfect phone. I'd build it myself with the hardware, but the software programming seems so complicated. The 500s also have the cool carrying handle in the back, which makes them the perfect "portable" phone. Sparkfun originally did this with an AE80, but switched over later.

McHeath

It's pretty impressive that what is essentially 1940's technology in the 500 can be adapted to work with the latest high tech gizmos, namely bluetooth and cellular wireless.