News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary phone dial watch

Started by ReneRondeau, November 08, 2019, 11:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReneRondeau

I saw this mentioned on a watch collector forum (I was in the watch business for decades before I retired):

Detroit Watch Company City Code Collection.

Interesting concept. I understand why they left 3 and 4 grayed out, to more properly echo a real dial, but to me that looks really awkward, especially since (duh!) the numbers of a watch dial don't correspond with a phone dial. I think it would look better with all the numbers in white.

There were 'telephone dial' watches made as far back as the 'teens, though the round markings were not necessarily inspired by phone dials, they could have simply been a designer's idea of something to catch the eye. Nonetheless, collectors refer to them as telephone dials.

oldguy

A little out of my price range😀😀
Gary

Western Bell

Specifications

Caliber:  Swiss Eta 2824-2 Automatic & Manual winding, 25 Jewels, Shock-Absorber-Incablock, Nivarox 2 Hairspring, 28800 Vibrations Per Hour, 38 hour power reserve

Functions:  Display by means of hands, hours, minutes, seconds

Case:  42mm diameter polished stainless steel, 9.4mm overall height. 52mm lug to lug.

Lug Width:  22mm

Crystal:  Sapphire with anti-reflective coating

Water Resistant:  5 Atmospheres, 50m/165ft

Dial:  2-piece phone dial design with black & white graphics and gray numbers 3 & 4

Strap:  Exclusive City code black padded leather with copper stitching, quick release spring bars and deployant clasp

ReneRondeau

Here's an example of an antique 'telephone dial' watch, made by the Illinois Watch Co. in 1917.