"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1956 Mahogany Brown 500 found

Started by Chesterwick, June 20, 2019, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesterwick

Hello all,

I don't usually post, and have a very modest collection of a couple 302's and soft 500's, but enjoy reading the forum and have learned a lot by browsing threads. I have been on a bit of a tear buying up 500's and found something cool in one of my usual haunts. Among a shelf of numerous ho hum refurbished beige 500's both modular and hard wired, trim lines and such were a couple of older black phones. I gravitated to the leather feet, as most I noticed were  the round rubber type.

I picked up what I thought was an old moldy black 500, held it up to the light and was pleasantly surprised to find it is actually a mahogany dated 12/56 on the bottom. It is in rough shape but looks like it'll be a nice project. The base is rusty and all of the feet need to be replaced (one has missing suede completely.) I haven't opened it up yet to check the dates but it looks to be original.

Attached is a crappy pic as it sits on my shelf. I'll get to it soon. All in all a nice find I think.

HarrySmith

Great find! That goes to show, they are still out there! Once in a while you can get lucky. Congrats. Looks like a nice fat handset cord. Can't wait to see the dates and the restoration. Keep us posted with lots of pictures!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

~

Look at that!  ;D

Ur right Harry...They are still out there waiting for us to find them!

Find of the Month, right there! Congrats!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RotarDad

With a rusty base, I would keep a lookout on EBay for a same-dated black 500 with a nice base.  Then swap your brown parts on to the clean base.  Great find.  The beauty of Mahogany Brown is that it is often hiding in plain sight, looking like a dirty black set.
Paul

Chesterwick

Paul,

There's a thought on the base...I haven't the slightest idea how to rivet and wouldn't want to ruin anything. I have a message in to Dennis Halworth to see if he is recovering foot pads anymore, but doesn't look like he logs on much.

Oh, forgot to add, I paid $30 for it. Mold and all I didn't argue...

Joe

Pourme

~

Good luck on Dennis. He did my birthday WE500...His work is Perfect! Not sure but I think he no longer does this, could be wrong.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

You should list it in the Find of the month.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

$30 is an awesome price.  Restored, a phone like this should bring $300-400 on Ebay I would think.  A replacement base from a black 500 is the way to go.  I did something similar several years ago with a '56 M-brown 500:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11230.msg119911#msg119911
Paul

Chesterwick

So I got a start on the phone this afternoon. Filthy, but overall in decent shape. The dates are as follows:

Housing: 12-21-56-2
Network 12-56
Dial 12-56
Base 12-56
Receiver 8-1-60 (aw)
Transmitter 12-23-56
Handset and end caps 12-56
Ringer 12-56

Both line cord and handset cord are marked 56 on the strain relief.

So, the only thing not original is the receiver. Not bad!

The base was pretty rusty and the leather feet were shot, but I found a good matching 12-56 base on eBay and it's on the way! I cleaned the plastics best I could and am in the early stages of polishing it while I wait for the good base to arrive.

Cleaning the adhesive off the dial bezel was a nightmare...but I got it pretty clean and polished. I wish I could read the New York Telephone sticker that was on the one side of the housing...does that look familiar to anyone?

Attached are some pics.

Chesterwick

Sooo. I added attachments that were correctly oriented...somehow after posting a few are upside down or sideways. I don't know how to fix. Sorry guys!

oldguy

It's always fun when you find a rare phone at a reasonable price :) :)
Gary

RotarDad

Great plan for the restoration.  If the black base-donor 500 is complete, you can swap the U-1 earpiece as well.  Looking forward to seeing it done - the brown all shined up looks like chocolate, and is a great phone to have in your collection..... :)
Paul

FABphones

Quote from: Chesterwick on June 23, 2019, 10:13:25 PM
Cleaning the adhesive off the dial bezel was a nightmare...

To remove sticker adhesive I use Sunflower Oil. It works a treat and comes away quickly and easily.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Chesterwick

Finished with a good 12/56 base and network, I put it back together today. Over the last couple days I cleaned and polished the plastics with novus 1 and 2. The finish is far from perfect as there are a few small gouges on an surface edge or two and still some micro scratches, but compared to what it was, I'd say it came out all right. Im not a perfectionist when it comes to these, although a high gloss looks fine. I just need to add a modular connector to the line cord and I'll be putting it into my rotation for use.

The number card isn't original, as it didn't come with one. I put in one that came out of a black '53 500 that I pulled off that same store shelf as this one, only a year ago. I thought it'd be fitting.

J

RotarDad

Nice job with the rescue!  The dial card is really nice on the phone.
Paul