News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finds from London Ontario

Started by ....., July 05, 2019, 09:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I picked these pieces up yesterday in London Ontario. I had a funeral to attend to there. It's normally a 4 hour drive west of where I live and you have to drive through Toronto to get there. We ended driving though during rush hour both ways. the traffic was brutal.
We left at 7:00 am and didn't get back until 9:30 pm. We did make it to the 1:00 pm funeral service on time.

I had prearranged meeting with the person who was selling these pieces.  I was only after the operators chair, but came home with the rest.  The Candlestick lamp is a Northern Electric N50AL. I think I can return it back to it's former glory. The wooden phone was a a N1317 CG that had been gutted, he threw it in after I said I would take the candlestick. The box is in good condition, I think someone may be able to find a use for it.

One of the first things I did when I got home was strip the candlestick.

Key2871

Are you going to remove the lamp attachment, and can you do so without damaging the top.
But you have some nice finds there..
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on July 05, 2019, 09:45:08 AM
Are you going to remove the lamp attachment, and can you do so without damaging the top.
But you have some nice finds there..

That's the plan.

Doug Rose

Doug...Nice perch with the N marking. I have never seen that. Is it soldered or glued on? ....other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 05, 2019, 10:58:22 AM
Doug...Nice perch with the N marking. I have never seen that. Is it soldered or glued on? ....other Doug

Thanks Doug

Unfortunately it's brazed. I'll have to cut it off with a dermal and do some filing.  :(

I cleaned up the perch, just need to get some better files to do the finer finish.

FABphones

I can appreciate just how fine that is to work on. It has tidied up nicely. Can't wait to see it finished. Was it missing much and did you have eveything you needed in the spare boxes?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

It actually looks to be brazed not soldered.. I wonder why they chose to do that? Well that didn't take long, looking good! Nice Job.
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on July 05, 2019, 01:22:18 PM
It actually looks to be brazed not soldered.. I wonder why they chose to do that?

I think that is what I said earlier.

Quote from: Duffy on July 05, 2019, 11:03:30 AM

Unfortunately it's brazed. I'll have to cut it off with a dermal and do some filing.  :(

Quote from: Key2871 on July 05, 2019, 01:22:18 PM
Well that didn't take long, looking good! Nice Job.

Thanks, it pays to be retired and have the right tools at hand.

Quote from: FABphones on July 05, 2019, 01:22:01 PM
I can appreciate just how fine that is to work on. It has tidied up nicely. Can't wait to see it finished. Was it missing much and did you have eveything you needed in the spare boxes?

Thanks Fab

Everything was there, all I had to do is get rid of the lamp.  :)
I will have to get a receiver cord thou.

Key2871

KEN

Doug Rose

Doug...looks really nice, great job. Looking at this beauty reminded me I do not have a NE stick! I love the markings on the perch and the cup....great find....other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 05, 2019, 09:38:13 PM
Doug...looks really nice, great job. Looking at this beauty reminded me I do not have a NE stick! I love the markings on the perch and the cup....great find....other Doug

Thanks Doug

I have it back together. I think I will be painting it black and replacing the cords in the near future.

I have the operator chair added to the collection as well.