News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Winter is Upon Us!!!

Started by AET, December 09, 2009, 07:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

It's like London here. Very unusual amount of fog.
Faggy all day yesterday, and, night. Fog almost as thick as pea soup this morning.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

contraste

Quote from: Bill Cahill on December 10, 2009, 10:04:58 AM
It's like London here. Very unusual amount of fog.
Faggy all day yesterday, and, night. Fog almost as thick as pea soup this morning.
Bill Cahill

London of 50 years ago maybe but not anymore and it's never been particularly faggy here. :o
The pea soupers disappeared when people stopped using coal for heating.

AET

Jonathan! A man after my own heart!  You should join us at http://www.stationwagonforums.com/ it's a great site for wagon lovers.  And wagon lovers are hard to find.
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Everyone must be hunkered in from the cold, or something.  Seems pretty quiet tonight in these parts.

-Bill G

McHeath

We have rain tonight, and that coupled with a head cold makes for a quiet evening. 

Did rewatch Home Alone again.  Geesh, it's been 20 years!!! 

bwanna

well i made it to the great white north & back this week end. nowhere near 4ft of snow. more like 18".

tonight was the killer.....black ice turned my hour long commute into a 3+hr ride :'( >:( :( :o thankfully i stayed between the ditches.  :) others were not so lucky.
donna

McHeath

Yikes black ice!  I've only had a couple of moments with it, not fun. 

AET

Another one of my sigs that winter's in full fledge...Had to borrow Dad's 4x4 to get to work.
- Tom

contraste

Just catching up on the forum and I notice it's snowing here in Central London.
Only a little mind, nothing like you guys in America are getting.

We don't get much snow in London, quite often none at all, but if it keeps up we will surely see chaos on the streets.
Last year, it snowed quite heavily and buses were cancelled, schools were closed (very rare for that to happen) and the roads were not cleared of snow and ice.

We just don't know how to handle snow like they do in places where it falls heavily and regularly.

bingster

That happens here sometimes too, and I always chuckle.  Some southern state will get a half inch or so of snow, and everything will come to a dead stop, and there's widespread panic.
= DARRIN =

jsowers

Quote from: bingster on December 16, 2009, 10:39:34 AM
That happens here sometimes too, and I always chuckle.  Some southern state will get a half inch or so of snow, and everything will come to a dead stop, and there's widespread panic.

That happens here in NC a lot. We call school off at the first flake, and sometimes just because of the weather forecast. The stores are inundated with people buying bread and milk, like they'll be stranded for days. And sometimes we have ice storms where we are stranded for days. Once it happened with no power for a couple days. That's as close as I want to get to camping out.

Donna, I remember driving my old Mercury wagon home from work on black ice all the way once. The roads were slick with no salt, sand or anything. It had taken us all by surprise and the temperature dropped suddenly and all the roads froze over. It was white knuckle time and there was no snow for traction. It was all ice.

I think I made it home in about 45 minutes of creeping down the road and praying nobody ran into me. Normally it's a 15-minute drive. No 4- or front wheel drive, no antilock brakes. I got home in one piece and my hands were trembling--the only time I've ever had that to happen. I saw plenty of people who weren't as lucky, off in the ditch.
Jonathan

AET

Tell me more about this Mercury Wagon.  Colony Park? Sounds like my Caprice Wagon, no fwd, no 4x4. Please tell me it was a woodie.  Sorry, also a wagon enthusiast.
- Tom