"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's become of Hobiesport?

Started by foots, December 16, 2009, 03:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 17, 2009, 12:43:07 PM
Matt was logged in this morning, but didn't post.
Matt are doing the Huckleberry Finn funeral scene ???
DS/P

Hi Dan,

No, not a Huck Finn scene. I've just been to busy doing other stuff. But thanks for asking. :)

-Matt
-Matt

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath

I thought this place was like the Hotel California, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave. ;)

As long as it's not like the Roach Hotel... ;)

I really have been missing being on the forum. I've started hanging out with friends on Facebook a lot and that's really enjoyable too.

If anyone uses Facebook, please feel free to add me as a friend. Here are my two Facebook sites:

http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1668913216

and

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charles-Stevenson-Fine-Art-Friends-and-Collectors-Forum/190636449365

By the way, for anyone new to using Facebook, I highly recommend that one carefully goes through all the privacy controls. I have my settings to keep all my info private unless they are friends. Also, at one point Facebook automatically tried to make all my info public and I had to reset all my settings. I think Facebook is great, just that one should really be careful with it, as it is public. It's a lot better than MySpace IMO as far as privacy control is concerned.

Thanks,
-Matt
-Matt

bingster

Quote from: HobieSport on December 17, 2009, 12:55:36 PMSo...what have I missed on the forum in the past few months? Did anyone find a '49 500?

I found a box of ten, Matt!  I gave them to forum members for Christmas, but you weren't here, buddy!

Good to see you. :)
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Quote from: bingster on December 17, 2009, 01:49:17 PM
Quote from: HobieSport on December 17, 2009, 12:55:36 PMSo...what have I missed on the forum in the past few months? Did anyone find a '49 500?

I found a box of ten, Matt!  I gave them to forum members for Christmas, but you weren't here, buddy!

Good to see you. :)

Thanks Bingster, it's good to be back. Those ten '49 500s were new prototypes in their original boxes and each hand signed on the base by Henry Dreyfuss I assume? ;)
-Matt

AET

Good to see you're still alive Matt!!!!  I added you on facebook, so hopefully we can keep in touch there.
- Tom

Bill Cahill

No, not yet, but, I found an interesting New old stock "Telephone jack " made by RCA. I posted on it in general section, and, will soon take a picture of it.
Been working on a true junker Edison cylinder phonograph I picked up for too much money in Orlando last January.I now have motor completed, and, running.
Next step will be to put a new drive belt on it, put a temporary reproducer, and, small horn on it, and, try it for sound.
If all works out, I may have it completed in the next year, or, tro.
Then, I'll have 5 cylinder players.
Picked up another beige phone on evilbay two months ago. It's complete, working, and, I'm using it in living room.

Been cleaning my repair shop.
Had my family tv set playing. Them, it broke down again.
Diamond and, Mike are getting along better.
I bought new leashes, and, collars for them over the last two months.

Still can't get case to stay on my yellow wall phone in kitchen.
Been cleaning kitchen, and, living room.
Rebuilt a 1948 bakelite case Crosley table radio two months ago. Plays fine.
Finnished repairs on one of my Newcomb 50's transcription record players last month.
That's about it for now.
Bill Cahill
Welcome back, Matt.
;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on December 17, 2009, 02:25:17 PM
Good to see you're still alive Matt!!!!  I added you on facebook, so hopefully we can keep in touch there.

Hi Tom,

I'll confirm our "friend" status on Facebook. I'll glad that you're active here on the forum again too. In other news, I found a really nice 1940s style black narrow brim fedora made by Baily Hats. It looks really cool. I may just have to get a 1940s suit to go with it...

And thanks again, Bill, for nudging me back to the forum. Wow, you have been busy! It's inspiring. I may just have to keep all my phones long enough to at least refurb them before selling any. I've got enough 1940s and 50s era phones to supply our small town... :D

-Matt
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Matt;
Sounds like it is going to be a sweet deal for you.
Good luck, and remember. Trust in God; "You may not always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you always get what you need...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

HI MATT!!   look how happy i am to see you.....i used CAPS :o

glad to hear from you & that things are falling into place. sorry about the departure of your lady friend. living alone sucks sometimes. :(

i "friended" you on fb. :)   (you too, tom)

ps...d/p....good advice, but i think that was mick jagger ;D :D ;)
donna

HobieSport

Thanks D/P and Donna,

D/P, I just sent you a friend request on Facebook.

Donna, my lady friend leaving is not as bad as it sounds, though I never shun unsolicited empathy...Actually we had been drifting apart naturally and easily, and she also just kind of outgrew the local fine art Market. She's happy now in sunny San Diego, where the weather is always perfect. Also one of her sons and his wife and new baby live there.

So I know this is a cliche', but as long as she's happy, then I am happy. Plus, like I say, when the family all grows up and leaves, all I had to do was walk down the road and pick a shiny newer family to share my life here on the pretty little acre in Mendocino. Plus I'm about a million times better off financially with my new situation...

Pretty amazing, since otherwise I would be facing foreclosure today, and now all my money worries are gone! I guess that's why I'm happy to be back on the phone forum again, and also because Bill Cahill emailed me.

So I have Bill to thank instead of Mick Jagger... ;)
-Matt

McHeath

Maybe Bill IS Mick Jagger. :o

Nice to "see" you again Matt.  We've missed your input and your great pics of phones in old movies, among other things. 

Too bad you missed out on the 1949 WE 500 distribution, and yeah they were not only signed by Dreyfuss but included an autographed photo of him putting that exact phone in the shipping box.  ;)

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath

Nice to "see" you again Matt.  We've missed your input and your great pics of phones in old movies, among other things.  

Too bad you missed out on the 1949 WE 500 distribution, and yeah they were not only signed by Dreyfuss but included an autographed photo of him putting that exact phone in the shipping box.  ;)

You know, last spring there was Henry Dreyfuss's book, "Designing for People" for sale on Ebay. It was signed by Dreyfuss to "My Friend Vincent Price". It's true that they knew each other, I think, but I passed it up as I'm not an autograph hound.

Funny that you should mention my posts about Old Phones in Movies. Right now I'm working on the movie "The Russians Are Coming", which was filmed in our town in 1965. It's really a very funny and meaningful movie, and there is a great scene with the small town telephone operator. I'll be posting the pics soon. Also, the film involved much use of a Soviet submarine, and of course neither the U.S. nor U.S.S.R. governments/ navies would let them borrow one for the film. So they built a full sized mock-up. It looked pretty cool sitting in our local small town fishing harbor during filming, especially with the crowd scene near the end with everyone pointing guns at each other.  Not many towns had one of those, I suspect...

-Matt
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on December 17, 2009, 06:48:23 PM
HI MATT!!   look how happy i am to see you.....i used CAPS :o

glad to hear from you & that things are falling into place. sorry about the departure of your lady friend. living alone sucks sometimes. :(

i "friended" you on fb. :)   (you too, tom)

ps...d/p....good advice, but i think that was mick jagger ;D :D ;)

Jagger stole it from God... :o :o
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Quote from: bwanna
...living alone sucks sometimes. :(

I guess each person is different. In my case, for sure it was wonderful to have a family, and of course I still "have" them, just that we don't live together now.

When we did live together, we lived in two houses right next to each other other, and we all had our own private spaces, so we could be together or not at anytime. My gal-friend was always very busy with he artwork and business, and I have my own various activities (like playing with old phones and antique travel trailers, which she loathed) so we spent a lot of time apart.

Many of my friends as well as myself have a theory that some couples/families are just happier living next to each other but not always in the same building. I knew an old happy couple here that remodeled their house so that it was two connected units, each with full facilities. Each evening one would cook dinner and do the dishes for the other in their own half of the house. And they lived happily "together" like that for many many years.

In my early twenties I used to live with an extended family on three acres here, and we had a main house for dinners together, but each of us also had our own little cabin. singly or in couples. It wasn't really a "commune" per se, or at least it was a very middle class life, but we did share all the household bills equally and it worked great for all of us. One could be alone or not whenever one liked.

Anyway, for me right now, I'll have great friends and neighbors here, and we can spend as much time together (or not) as we like, so it's sort of like having a family, but more independent. Plus I'm finding that with my new independence that I can just think more clearly in general, and am much more social in general these days. But like I say...to each their own... :)

My sister lives in a huge 300 year old farmhouse in Maryland with her husband and teenage daughter, and she's fine, but when she saw my big trailer with my own space she was a bit envious...

Dan, if Mick Jagger stole that line from God, did God try to sue for copyright infringement? Just wondering... ;)

-Matt
-Matt

AET

Well, I'd like to see a pic of this hat.  I picked up a couple of wide-brim fedoras from the forties at Vinnies for 5 bucks apiece. 

Donna, I accepted your request, here's my URL if anybody else is interested.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/tom.nakielski?v=feed&story_fbid=129801909956

- Tom