News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Model 354 - Ebay Item #140292317892

Started by Dennis Markham, January 01, 2009, 10:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I saw this Western Electric Model 354 on eBay tonight and thought some may be interested in seeing it.  There was some discussion a while back about the 426A tubes found in the model 500's and the larger 372A that we've seen in the model 302.  Notice that this phone has what appears to be the shorter tube, usually found in the model 500.  This phone was intended for party-line use.  There is also a gong baffle which we don't see every day but is not uncommon.

Here is the auction:  http://tinyurl.com/8sha7a

The photo is attached.

Sargeguy

It certainly looks like the 356 I have, except that there is no aluminum housing on the tube and mine has 5H dial.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Very different guts than my 357.  What is the purpose of the gong baffle? 

BDM

Quote from: McHeath on January 02, 2009, 02:00:40 AM
Very different guts than my 357.  What is the purpose of the gong baffle? 

Changes the tone and well as reducing ring volume, so to say. I may be wrong, but I've found those only on party-line phones. Again, I may be wrong, just my experience.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Not me.  I like to wait until there are only 2 seconds left...and then buy it! :)

Sargeguy

If I see a 302 or 354 for under $10 I automatically bid on it. I already have three of them waiting to be restored.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

That's interesting about the gong baffle.  Now why doesn't my 357 party line model have it?

And I like to bid on my phones in the last .0000009 milliseconds when I swoop in like a hawk and, uh, well I usually lose my auctions.
:(