News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Model 500 From November of 1950

Started by Dennis Markham, March 29, 2009, 12:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Posting this is a two-edged sword.  If you are looking for a model 500 with dates from 1950 and didn't see this then I guess it's a good thing.  If you saw this and were hoping no one else would then it's a bad thing.  But in ten hours this could be yours. 

http://tinyurl.com/d6nwxk

It looks like the handset cord is a replacement.  The handset is a G1, the dial card looks to be original and the dial is the 7 series as evidenced by the wide opening for the finger stop and the finger stop support.  It's late 1950, but it is 1950.

Konrad

eBay safety check.  Joined eBay this month.  One feedback as a buyer and zero as a seller.  Paypal will only give you your money back if they can suck it out of his account, otherwise it's "unrecoverable."

I'd hate to see this go for silly money and it's a scam.

Just saying be careful out there.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I did ask him early on in the listing for more information and he said he had already packed the item but if I wanted he would unpack it.  I declined as I decided I didn't really need another one this late in 1950.  Mine is from December of 1950.  

It appears as though only 80 or so people have looked at it, compared to a phone like the recent green Mushroom that had over 1400 visitors.  This 1950 phone should not bring big bucks but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go in the $50 range...but I've never guessed one right yet.

Dennis Markham

You're right Brian, $20 is too high.  I had forgotten about the shipping cost.  Even well packed and even with UPS it's an over charge for shipping.  But on the other hand the current bidder will get a 1950 model for $40.  But there may be one out there in flea market land for $5.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 29, 2009, 01:05:13 PM
You're right Brian, $20 is too high. 

I find that high shipping costs are common on eBay purchases of all kinds.  Call me cynical, but I suspect that some people gouge the shipping cost as a way of circumventing having to share the sale price with eBay.  Personally I always factor in the shipping cost with what I'm willing to pay, e.g. in this example, am I willing to pay $40+ for the phone?  Well, I was until I read the previous posts.  Read and learn.

On another note, I always thought the shipping costs posted were automatically calculated for your location.  But if y'all are seeing the same cost as I am, perhaps not.

Greg
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

benhutcherson

Ebay allows sellers to charge the actual shipping cost and a "reasonable" handling fee. The rules on what can constitute a handling fee are a bit fuzzy-the handling fee is not supposed to cover the cost of packing materials or gas to drive to the post office. They're only supposed to pay for the time spent packing.

Anyway, anything above actual cost plus a small handling fee is considered fee circumvention, and is grounds for listing termination and other serious consequences.

Of course, this is all subjective, but good luck fighting with Ebay if they think you're trying to keep money from them.

AET

Cool phone!  Love the original dial card too! 

20 bucks is definately high, actual shipping is probably 7-10 dollars for this if I had to take a shot in the dark.  I know I could ship old beer bottles for 4 bucks. 
- Tom

Konrad

Dennis was close on the price.  The other trick sellers try to pull is insurance for UPS ground.  Insurance up tp $100 is included with UPS.

Dan/Panther

I was second bid on this phone I bid $57.77, I didn't mention the auction for obvious reasons. I contacted the seller and requested Flat rate Priority, for $12.00, he agreed.
I hope who ever won asked about shipping.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson