"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This Week's Flea Market Find

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 29, 2011, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 29, 2011, 09:39:20 PM
I removed the quotes from Dave's response.  They had included the photos.  The problem appears to be resolved on this posting.

Yes your work here is done Dennis. All is well again.

I use IE and the post was too wide to view and with no slider bar on the bottom there was no way to navigate to the right to get at the response buttons. Good way to weed out IE users from posting on the forum if that ever becomes a desirable feature!

Terry

Greg G.

Well Larry, if you hadn't been my "bird-dog" and pointed out some steals in my area, I would say I hate you.  >:( The pics don't show any discoloration that I can see.  A pink 500 in good shape is a good find.  A PU in good shape is a good find.  Put the two together and you have a double good find!  Double-good on you! 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on March 30, 2011, 12:57:46 AM
Put the two together and you have a double good find!  Double-good on you! 

Probably more like a Quadruple Good Find.

Terry

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

GG

Yeah, that's a pretty extraordinary good find there. 

Don't try to sand the housing.  I'd say leave it as is, the color difference is not particularly noticeable.

LarryInMichigan

I did sand the shell.  It had a thin layer of slightly brownish discoloration which caused more of a color mismatch.

Does anyone know what the proper voltage for the light bulb is?

Larry

Dewdrop

Debbie

jsowers

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 30, 2011, 08:10:53 AM
Does anyone know what the proper voltage for the light bulb is?

It's 6 volts AC. I use an old TI rechargeable calculator power supply--it's worked for 25 years. Look at the nearest Goodwill or Salvation Army or other thrift store near you. They usually have a pile of power bricks. It should read Output=6VAC. Or you can look for the original Bell System adapters. I have some of those too, but I want to see how long that TI one will last. It far outlived the calculator, which died about 1983.
Jonathan

JorgeAmely

Larry:

This phone really doesn't go with your collection of black phones. I have a red mushroom and I think those two colors will look good together.

PS: Congrats!!! $40 is a steal. I guess Dennis slept in that day.
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI have a red mushroom and I think those two colors will look good together.

Jorge,

I agree with you.  Send your red phone, and I will make space on the shelf for it next to my pink one :)

I haven't been able to convince Dennis to drive the 18 miles or so out to the flea market yet, and I am not sure that I want to ;)  I have found a WE 20AL, North Galion wall phone, FTR phone, AE 1A, and a few parts phones there in addition to this latest one.

Larry

Russ Kirk

Only $40 ?!?!?!?!?

Just goes to show that there are still some treasures to be found if you are int he right place at the right time.

This will be my vote for the find of the month.

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

JorgeAmely

Russ:

My heart skipped a beat or two when I read that Larry just paid $40 for it. And it is in such a good shape.

Larry:

After this, Dennis WILL be waking up early and visiting your neighborhood. I forgot to append to that sentence "... here in CA".
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

The guys who sold me this phone also sold me my D1/E1 for $40.  They once had an extremely beat-up, dirty, and rusty metal 302 for $40, but I passed on that one.  From their prices, it looks like that they have little idea of what anything is worth.  Apparently, all phones are $40.  Other things are ridiculously over-priced.  I am hoping that next week they will have a blue 302, or maybe a WE A1 for $40 :)

Larry

Dennis Markham

Jorge,  I guess I'm going to have to put that flea market on my route.  I go further than that to my outdoor flea market in the summer time...but it's in the opposite direction.  And I've never found a mushroom phone there.

You're right Jorge, Larry does like those black phones.  I have just the phone to trade with him for the Pink 500U, don't I, Larry? :)

Doug Rose

Larry...you hit a homerun with that pink beauty. Pictures look great on my end. Congrats!!!....Doug
Kidphone