News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Something A Bit Different from The Flea Market

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 17, 2011, 10:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

There were no antique phones to be found at the flea market this morning, but the addiction compelled me to buy something.  I found a Kellogg Headset which so little or no sign of use.  The seller wanted $20 for it, but as I was walking away, he asked for $10.  I haven't a clue what I can do with it, but I couldn't resist.  Now I have to look it up and find out more about what it is and when it was made.

Larry

Tom B

Larry..... you've got a bad case of the phonicus addicticus ;D
Tom

Dennis Markham

Well it's pretty cool, Larry.  I'd probably have paid $10 for it too.  I'm sure it's worth all of that.

Excellent description Tom....I think perhaps we all have that affliction.  :)

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Tom B on April 17, 2011, 10:26:51 AM
Larry..... you've got a bad case of the phonicus addicticus ;D

Tom,

It's worse than that.  The disease has spread to antique radios, clocks, and fans, as well as some other places which I will not mention.

Larry

Tom B

Larry,
The only cure for part of your problem is to get rid of some of your stuff - I will selflessly volunteer to take your 500s, 300s and anything you think will be therapeutic for you - don't forget, Doctor Tom knows best ;)
Tom

LarryInMichigan

The headset has "64B" on it.  I see model 65A in the old Kellogg catalogs from the 1930s, but not 64B.  I connected the headset to the receiver contacts of a North TP-6-A, and the volume from both receivers was low.  I would really like to know what the intended use of this headset was.  It does not have a plug on the end of the cord.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Can you connect it to a stereo jack and use it to listen to music from your computer?
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 17, 2011, 07:13:08 PM
Can you connect it to a stereo jack and use it to listen to music from your computer?
Of course he would have to find a way to take the two pin connectors and wire them to a plug, and it would be mono, and the sound would be lo-fidelity.  Other than all that, I guess he could.
-Bill G

Adam

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 17, 2011, 07:13:08 PM

i doubt they'd work well for that, either.

They look to me like the typical 30's and 40's communications type headset, the kind you'd use to listen to a short-wave radio.  I believe these would be high-impedance, and stereos and computers, etc., these days use low impedance speakers.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#History

I've never seen ones made by Kellog, very cool.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

Neat find, Larry. Now you need to get some Western Electric 509-W headphones.  They're amazing.
= DARRIN =

jsowers

The pin connector on the end of one of the wires looks like what would have been used on an early radio, like a crystal set or a breadboard radio like an Atwater Kent that had a separate speaker. I think Kellogg also made radio headphones. They probably date to the 1920s or so.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: jsowers on April 18, 2011, 09:00:28 AM
The pin connector on the end of one of the wires looks like what would have been used on an early radio, like a crystal set or a breadboard radio like an Atwater Kent that had a separate speaker. I think Kellogg also made radio headphones. They probably date to the 1920s or so.

Fine.  Now I need a 1920s radio :)

Larry

migette

What would we do without flee markets, its the thought of that special item turning up. In UK they are very popular and with rising costs attracts all sorts, best one near me is the Wimbledon Dog track Bootsale which is on Weds  Sats  Sun  and Bank holiday Mondays. If weather bad, no market that's when the withdrawell symptoms show. Lost count of the things bought but normally Electrical related ,clocks Barometers phones (could be from anywhere, but mainly UK) just don't know whats going to turn up. The headphones could well been used with an old radio they often had outputs for extra speakers, Never seen 1920's radio thouhbut will keep looking these had the valves (tubes) which lit up brightly before the dull emitter was invented. Headphones to look out for here are the ones made by S G  browne. If anyone gets to London this Bootsale is a must, Good hunting its there somewhere   Peter

Dan/Panther

That type headset was used quite often in the 1920's on regenerative radios, and crystal sets. Before amplifiers came into wide spread use.
I'd say they could sell for at least $25.00 on a radio auction, a couple years ago maybe twice that.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson