News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The phone booth is not dead, but this one is pretty unusal here; free calls!

Started by dsk, May 29, 2015, 09:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

http://tinyurl.com/o944j7r
I from this booth located at Dokka, Norway, you may call for free to all domestic and cellphones in Norway.

dsk

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Quote from: Fabius on May 29, 2015, 09:59:19 AM
Hvilken person i bildet er du?
Beklager, jeg er ikke på bildet. "Sorry, I'm not at the picture"

From left, Telenor (Earlier televerket/telegrafverket monopoly tel-co) head of payphone dept.
The owner of the booth bought on an charity auction for NOK 192500 or approx $24740!
and the mayor.

Telephone boots are never officially sold in Norway

dsk

NorthernElectric

Quote from: dsk on May 29, 2015, 09:18:50 AM

I was curious what the full text accompanying the photo said.  Is this a fairly accurate translation?

Quote from: http://telemuseet.no/telehistorie/telefonkiosken/ring-gratis-fra-telefonkiosken-pa-dokka/Call free from the phone box on Dokka !

In connection with the telethon in 2013 , gave Telenor away a newly renovated, red telephone kiosk, which in turn was auctioned to raise funds for the National Association of Public Health . Now kiosk gained new life outside a newly opened business center in Dokka .

During the telethon in 2013 was the kiosk sold for close to 200,000 crowns, but then there was silence around its fate . Until property developer Per Tore Teksum recently announced that the kiosk gets new life outside the new business center on his Dokka . And there it is certainly not standing for decoration. In partnership with Tele museum is the old coin meter adjusted so that it is free for all and sundry to make free domestic in Norway .

OPENED «NY» TELEPHONE KIOSK AT DOKKA TUESDAY : From left Tor Magne Stalleland , responsible for public pay phones in Telenor , kiosk owner Per Tore Teksum and Liv Solveig Alfstad , mayor of the Northern Land . (Photo: NRK Hedmark and Oppland)
Cliff

dsk

A pretty direct translation, my English language has some limitations. Does it give a meaning, or may some of the expressions look strange? A guess it it is easy to understand kiosk as booth, but coin meter is here a payphone (pay station)

For those who want to now about Dokka (untranslatable name, or the translation will show something like "the doll")
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokka
Visiting Dokka may give about the same feeling as I had when I visited Crestline, CA, even when Crestline is larger.

dsk

Fabius

I have even got a regular New York number :-) 646 570 1796

Not just a New York number but a New York City number with an area code for Manhattan. Is it VOIP?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Quote from: Fabius on May 30, 2015, 11:03:11 AM
I have even got a regular New York number :-) 646 570 1796

Not just a New York number but a New York City number with an area code for Manhattan. Is it VOIP?
Yes, I am extremely happy with the Callcentric account. Really great service, reasonable costs, and easy to set up with many free extra opportunities. If you call the number at my day-time, you get announcement, and may chose to just call (it rings at my payphone in the basement) or you may connect to my 194x SXS switch and get a new dial tone, and dial direct to the extensions. E.g. 6 for my desk.  I dont know what it costs you to call me, but it should be more affordable than a call to Norway.  (When the payphone rings, I may dial 0 and pick up the conversation from my desk) 
dsk

Fabius

Okay, I'll try it tomorrow. My late morning is your evening I believe. Should be no cost to me to call the NYC number.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

I'm home now so please call if you want. I have been a pretty special trip to Oslo, a part of the city full of mosques, an different churches. An area you should expect lots of conflicts. A priest I know had his last day at work, and he has been a man working for peace, and tolerance.  In the church today, representatives from several other churches and even some mosques were there, spoke honor him for his work, extremely touching, and by my opinion a good story for everybody with or without a religion.

dsk

Fabius

Quote from: dsk on May 31, 2015, 10:56:44 AM
Oslo, a part of the city full of mosques, dsk

A quick check on Google and I see that 2.5% of the population of Norway is Muslim. Great topic for further comment but that's beyond the purpose of the forum.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Agree; religion and politics, except from telephone related politics should not be an issue here. I hope not did cross the border in hence of promoting work for peace and love.   

Back to phones, the booth mentioned over has free calls, maybe an idea for Google voice to put up free calls booths if they may get volunteers to keep them in order. (Telephone hobbyists/collectors etc)  Google voice is not in service here but it seems to be a good way of calling for free in the USA and Canada. (I would like to have them here too)

dsk

PS
Tom; thank you for calling! Ill hope you don't get a real storm even when blinking in the lights may indicate some wind.
DS