News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Those are both great catches, and just another point that the prop master didn't pay attention to details.
And it's still happens in today's movies and shows.
KEN

SUnset2

There is currently an Expedia commercial running somewhat frequently that, though set in the present day, features a yellow AE 80 prominently.  I'm guessing that she is calling on it to complain about how small her hotel room is. 

TelePlay

This movie is not old (was made in 1968 or 54 years ago and won 1 Oscar for best special affects) but about 28 minutes into the movie this appeared. The sign on the wall says "Bell System."

19and41

They tried to incorporate as many corporate names and logos into that film as possible.  Wonder how much the businesses paid for that product placement.   It didn't insure their viability in the next century either.  Pan Am croaked and the Bell System broke up.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

The one and only phone seen in the 1951 Alfred Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train" shows up just a minute or two before the movie ends. Looks like another B1/E1 rotary phone, might even be the same one seen in "Them" made in 1954. Hard to miss this one.

FABphones

Where's the beef?

(Wendy Burger tv ad, 1980's)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

This phone is seen in many of the multiple scenes shot in the hair salon in the 1975 movie "Shampoo" and the image below was captured about an hour into the film. There is a mirror on the wall to the left of the phone.

It's an interesting multiple line phone where the lit hold and line selectors are on the top of a box mounted below the what seems to be a standard beige 554 wall phone. The cable to the box seems to be a grey 25 pair. The phone and box are mounted on the same back board.

I couldn't find it on paul_f's site but that doesn't mean it's not there, just means I couldn't find it. Phone could be real or it could be a prop.

poplar1

4, 6, or 8 conductors needed fron the 6050/6051 selector to the 554:
Tip, Ring, A, A1 minimum.
Optional pair for  buzzer
Optional pair for common audible ringer.

851 set superceded this arrangement for wall phones unless customer wanted to use a Trimline or 212.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

These two phones appear in an episode of 'Randell & Hopkirk (Deceased)'.

Excellent British tv show, with an excellent theme tune, filmed at Elstree Studios in the 1960's.  :D

Does any one recognise either phone? I'm guessing both are perhaps German model Intercoms, but have never seen either before.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: TelePlay on May 15, 2021, 08:46:11 PM

It's an interesting multiple line phone where the lit hold and line selectors are on the top of a box mounted below the what seems to be a standard beige 554 wall phone. The cable to the box seems to be a grey 25 pair. The phone and box are mounted on the same back board.

I have a similar set-up.
It is a black 554 and black selector box..
The box is above the 554.
They are mounted on a factory looking backboard. I think it is Northern Telecom parts.
I bought it at a show because it was unusual and seemed to be real.
I haven't seen it for awhile but I think I still have it around.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

david@london

Quote from: FABphones on May 18, 2021, 05:29:24 PM
These two phones appear in an episode of 'Randell & Hopkirk (Deceased)'.
Excellent British tv show, with an excellent theme tune, filmed at Elstree Studios in the 1960's.  :D

My absolute favourite TV prog back then, here's an episode on u-tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnZiH7zTVcs&ab_channel=LegolasGreenleaf

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on May 19, 2021, 06:43:40 AM
...here's an episode on u-tube...

That was fun! Thanks for the link.  :)

Screenshots of some of the 706 phones featured in that episode (end credits date it to 1968), the red one looks a bit odd.

Can anyone name the (Dictaphone/Dictograph?) model in the last image below?

david@london

That red 706 lookalike could be the same phone which featured in another
R&H episode ...'Could You Recognise the Man Again?' [dailymotion]

An Ericsson Dialog perhaps....?

HarrySmith

I noticed the gray handset cord on that red phone. Did they do the same as WE did with "neutral" gray cords before they made matching color cords or is that a prop thing?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

david@london

Not sure, Harry but it does look good on there and matches the neutral cord colour.
Perhaps some of the Scandinavian members might have more info.
There are some Ericsson Dialog details at wikipedia and also here...

https://www.ericsson.com/en/about-us/history/products/the-telephones/dialog--the-popular-choice