News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I properly polish and buff Bakelite?

Started by Will520, August 17, 2010, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will520

I know this is probably a well discussed topic, but I couldn't find any definite answers on how to buff out small scratches and polish it, while being careful not to take the top layer off. I have heard that Novus plastic cleaners might work, or Brasso. Does anyone have any opinions, or personal experience with this?
Thanks,
Will

LarryInMichigan

Will,

I usually use Brasso for light scuffs and scratches and plastic polish to improve a dull finish.  For rougher spots, I use 2200 grit sandpaper.

Larry

Doug Rose

Bakelite reacts well to fine steel wool. The fine steel wool will also bring back the natural bakelite shine. Fine steel wool, Novus 2 and Avon skin so soft and your bakelite will shine again. AVON SKIN SO SOFT!!!! Bakelite being porous, accepts the skin so soft and it will go in deep inside.  Just wipe off any excess. It will smell pretty afterward! I have been doing this for years and never had an issue. Just make sure it is bakelite and not plastic. Steel wool on plastic is devastating....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Hey Will,
From what I have heard sanding bakelite is not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First there is something very unhealthy in there that you would expose yourself to. I do not recall exactly what but I do remember some very strong warnings from very experienced phone guys. Second the bakelite has fillers in it that you would expose or remove and it will be impossible to get it smooth again. The fine steel wool sounds like a good idea as it will not remove any significant amounts. I have used Novus 2 with decent results and also automotive rubbing compound, the red rubbing one not the white polishing one. Good Luck :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

i don't polish mine i wet sand with 1000,1500,and 2000 then paint it with rustolum and bake at 200 for 2 hours.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

You can't find definite answers because you're going to run into the old adage "Ask ten people and you'll get 10 different answers".  But that's ok, you can pick and choose what you think will work best for you.

I only sand as a last resort even on plastic.  I've never tried sanding bakelite, I haven't had any phones that need it, but I'll take the word of those who say don't.  If it's just small scratches, buff them out with polishers like Novus.  I'm not so sure about Brasso, it's pretty abrasive and my guess is that if your bakelite phone still has that outer layer, it may remove it.  Brasso's formula has changed in the US anyway, it's not as good as it used to be.  I have a can of the old stuff but I avoid using it because it's too odorous to use in my small work area.  The fine steel wool (0000) sounds ok, but I would only do that if it has a lot of scratches.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

thta is what works best for me but i heard Glayzit is  good.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Will520

Thanks for all of the advice! I have some Novus already lying around, so I'll try that first.
Will

Shovelhead

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 17, 2010, 07:10:51 AM
Hey Will,
From what I have heard sanding bakelite is not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First there is something very unhealthy in there that you would expose yourself to. I do not recall exactly what but I do remember some very strong warnings from very experienced phone guys. Second the bakelite has fillers in it that you would expose or remove and it will be impossible to get it smooth again. The fine steel wool sounds like a good idea as it will not remove any significant amounts. I have used Novus 2 with decent results and also automotive rubbing compound, the red rubbing one not the white polishing one. Good Luck :)

IIRC bakelite can contain asbestos. It was used as a filler.

cihensley@aol.com

Here are several documents on Bakelite restoration that may be helpful.

Chuck

KeithB