and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Canada Import Tax

Started by Doug Rose, February 07, 2014, 05:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Quote from: DavePEI on February 08, 2014, 10:26:09 AM
Contempra's message reminds me, Doug..

I wonder if the person who contacted you thought you might send the article via GSP if you sold to him.There seems to be a lot of mis-understanding about the Global Shipping program, and part of that is their wording of shipping charges, which really are clearance/forwarding charges. Ebay needs to be more open about exactly what the GSP is and the Pitney Bowes charges.

Less experienced buyers seem to think that GSP is the only way of shipping.

Dave

I just writen jflowres on eBay and I saw the same thing concerning Import charges.. so now the problem is oaky ....However, I did not contacted Doug but now I know who he is on eBay :D..

poplar1

This seller uses USPS Priority Mail International rather than EBay's Global Shipping Program:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/370987453175

Shipping:
US $48.00  (approx. C $52.84)   USPS Priority Mail International      
International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. 

Item location:
Ambler, Pennsylvania, United States

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

We have had no choice, it automatically goes to eBay global shipping. How can we stop it and get to the old days of quoting a price outside the US and have it be the quote! eBay is muddying the waters....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

There must be a means to go back to "the old way" since atticfines is shipping USPS.

Contempra

No problem Doug. Even i If don't buy something from USA, you stay a friend here. No problem for that.. :).. eBay makes lot of money with their site...

DavePEI

I just did an interesting survey of my first page of eBay Canada "Telephone" search results. Out of 100 US items listed, there are 57 calling for Global Shipping Program shipping. The rest go out direct through USPS (and with no extra charges).

Now, while going through them, I did notice a trend, which is in the buyer's favor. Those going through GSP have more reasonable postage costs - many of those going direct have very much inflated postage costs.

So, despite GSP being a bitter pill to swallow, it does have the advantage of fighting the dread "sell the item low, make up for it in postage", trend recently on eBay.

However, disputing eBay's claim of "import Charges" including "This amount includes applicable customs duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees. This amount is subject to change until you make payment. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Program terms and conditions" - there are NO CUSTOMS DUTIES, and should be no BROKERAGE AND OTHER FEES, if Global Shipping weren't involved, you are really only paying the blended GST on top of the purchase, plus a small brokerage fee.

As I mentioned before, even if an item is shipped USPS and slips through customs coming into Canada, there is still a tax responsibility for the buyer to pay the Blended GST on those items. So one really isn't any further behind, given the fact that the GSP charges are so low, only slightly over the cost of GST alone.

This really negates the main objection to GSP -  the cost, as it guarantees that you will only be paying the actual postage cost, and when you consider your blended GST is payed at the source, BUT I do feel their calling it an "Import Charge" is mis-leading, as it isn't -- at best it is an export fee which includes the cost of Blended GST.

However, it looks as though the query from Doug's customer was indeed caused by the recent imposition by eBay of these charges, and a lack of understanding what it is for...

The other disadvantage is the longer shipping time, as the item has to go from the vendor to Pitney Bowes, and from there is is posted, and until it is in the mainstream, it is untrackable. Definitely disadvantages. However, it doesn't stop me from dealing with US vendors who offer only GSP, as I don't find the overall cost of sending higher given the amount saved in the actual shipping cost. I still don't like GSP!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Anyway my friend Dave, they won't do some money with me.........  a chance my Lord !...now the problem is solved for me... Thanks Dave to explain all this

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on February 08, 2014, 02:05:07 PM
Anyway my friend Dave, they won't do some money with me.........  a chance my Lord !...now the problem is solved for me... Thanks Dave to explain all this
What I wanted to do more than anything was to figure out exactly what they were talking about, which I think we have now done. I knew there were no new "import taxes" - just a matter of people misunderstanding how eBay is applying their Global Shipping charge as being new taxes.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Is it possible that Ebay includes the word "customs" because they use the same template for shipping from outside North America to countries that do impose custom charges?

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on February 08, 2014, 05:00:58 PM
Is it possible that Ebay includes the word "customs" because they use the same template for shipping from outside North America to countries that do impose custom charges?
It must be, but is definitely confusing to those who aren't used to buying across borders. It is an interesting thing I noted this afternoon that it is a solution to those sellers selling identical items, one for $2 and $50 postage, and one for $40 and $12 postage! It ends that sort of tactic.

And the combined handling and postage fee at least equals to no more than what one would expect to pay on the same item.

I still don't like it  :) Ebay needs to be more forward to their customers so they don't think it is some mysterious new government fee, and so they realize it goes to the program.

I have bought a number of items using it, and as I have said, many sellers will use it as their only way of selling to Canada - even those who refused to ship to Canada before. I have not found that it increases costs, but wish it was a bit faster and was track-able from the day it leaves the seller to the day it is received under one tracking number.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

tallguy58

I disagree.

Ebay charges fees on price + shipping, so there is no incentive for them to have lower shipping fees. That was in response to the dolts that sell for $2 and ship for $40 like Dave said. Those a-holes ruined it for everyone.

I habitually see comic sellers charging $12 or more to ship a comic to Canada when it normally costs no more than $5.

eBay has become a rip-off.
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

Quote from: tallguy58 on February 08, 2014, 07:59:31 PM
I disagree.

Ebay charges fees on price + shipping, so there is no incentive for them to have lower shipping fees. That was in response to the dolts that sell for $2 and ship for $40 like Dave said. Those a-holes ruined it for everyone.

I habitually see comic sellers charging $12 or more to ship a comic to Canada when it normally costs no more than $5.

But then. you are stating this without any comparison. I have the figures, and have compared shipping costs. A seller is free to charge whatever they want for an item, and then the buyer either will, or won't buy it. But you do have to ship it one way or the other.

When the GSP ships to Canada, most often items leave the Pitney Bowes facility, put on Canpar Express, then transferred to Canada Post when it arrives in Canada. Occasionally it will come USPS all the way. What makes the difference, I don't know. Most lately have come via Canpar then Canada Post.

Ebay was always a proft making enterprise, it is just that they keep finding new ways to do it. Eventually, they will go too far, and they will be out of business.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Quote from: tallguy58 on February 08, 2014, 07:59:31 PM
I disagree.

Yesssssssss you say the truth and sometimes some sellers are  assholes sorry for my word...... and eBay is not better sometimes....anyway I pass directly by the seller not eBay if I buy for the second time from an eBayer and its the case with a seller .. its the second phone that the seller sells to me and not the last.....Imagine !.. an item for $2 and the shipping is $25 or so....they are crazy !...anyway I stop right now lolll.. otherwise I become angry ;)

Contempra

tallguy58

Quote from: DavePEI on February 08, 2014, 08:23:49 PM

But then. you are stating this without any comparison. I have the figures, and have compared shipping costs. A seller is free to charge whatever they want for an item, and then the buyer will, or won't buy it.

Dave

I don't need a comparison to know that $12  to ship an envelope to Canada is a rip-off. I've sold comics to Americans and it's cost me $3.25 to ship it.

I just don't buy from sellers that charge too much. Some, thankfully, have recognised the Global Shipping fees are a joke and say so in their listings. Most are just too lazy to actually go out of their way to offer customer service and go to the post office and get a quote on shipping.

I always went out of my way to get quotes on shipping. After all, they're the customer with the $$.
Cheers........Bill