News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spring's Coming

Started by 19and41, February 09, 2021, 05:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

it was in the mid 70's here in Boise on Sunday, only to have 40's today! suppose to be back in the 70's by this weekend! the daffidoils are blooming, tulips are getting ready to bud out and the lilacs are waking up! looking forward to april!
John

Key2871

Well it will be a couple months before pollen starts going like that. The pine pollen is the worse, like you said it's like yellow clouds in the air coating everything in yellow.
Well I like it better than white stuff.. And temps in the 20s. So I can put up with some for a month or so.
KEN

dsk

:) Woke up to a small amount of snow today  ;)

Best wishes from  Hakadal, Norway!

Key2871

Beautiful scenery.. We called snow poor man's fertilizer for years around here. It seems to make everything greener later.
KEN

19and41

Winter was pretty puny here this last season.  It's starting out with what used to be summer temperatures here.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

we had an extremely light winter here in Idaho too, cooled off today, again.... felt like snow this afternoon... now its clearing out and cold... suppose to be back into the 70's by friday....
John

FABphones

The Spring flowers are in bloom, but the ground is still soft and an old dead tree next to the house which was in excess of 80 feet tall and already dangerously on a near 40 degrees tilt decided to lean even more, so had to be felled.

First image shows just how large (and hollow) the trunk was. We counted well over 120 rings, so this tree was over 120 years old - with a huge Frelon (Hornet) nest way up inside.  :o

Just some of the logs for the wood burners. More to come. This should last us a while....
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Around here those are called widow makers.
Because you never know when a limb will fall and konk you on the head.
Back in my early 20's I helped my boss remove 5 of these in a row, hardhats were used but hardly useful in the event a huge branch comes down on you.
Glad you took it down, those are too dangerous to leave.
KEN

19and41

I had my widow maker cut 3 years ago  The shade was nice, the leaves, blended with sycamore balls, and the debris falling from the tree weren't.
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

This photo was taken this afternoon. This tall Pear Tree is the oldest in the Orchard. The photo was to show the Pear Blossom, thousands of flowers, but the cloud came over so it is a somewhat moody photo instead (if you click on the photo you can see how laden this tree is with blossom).

The early morning frosts however are causing issues. I read today some Vineyard owners are burning large candles to warm the air lest the fruit be lost. Others are spraying with water (think igloo), others are hiring helicopters to disperse the cold air.

Last year we planted a small vineyard here. We lost all blossom to a freak hailstorm (the size of marbles which cut through the leaves/plants), and heavy winds. The vines survived so fingers crossed for a bunch of grapes or two this year....  8)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Well, for the first time in quite a few years I got my snow blowers put away for the summer.
I can't remember the last time I was able to so that in early April. But I'm fine with that.
The ground is firming up and the snow in my yard is all gone. Yipee!
KEN

19and41

I hope this isn't a omen of a sizzlin hot summer.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Yea I know what you mean. But there is always a trade off somewhere. Easy winter hot summer, easy summer snowy winter.. Unless you live in the southern states then it might be better? I don't know if that's a trade off either.
KEN

Babybearjs

well, here in Boise the weather can't make up its mind..... warm, cold, warm, cold wind, still, wind..... I'm ready for better weather here... I'm tired of these "Mood Swings"
John

19and41

At least you're living in Boise, though...
— Arthur C. Clarke