News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Phoneitis Victim

Started by DentonRotary, February 21, 2014, 04:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DentonRotary

Hello, boy was I happy to find this forum! I have been a solitary victim of rotary phoneitis and thought this condition was unique to me.

I would have introduced myself two days ago when I first got here, but I was too busy reading all over the forum. Which I am still doing but thought it was about time I said hi.

I have a pair of Trimline rotaries I am trying to figure out how to get working. I also want to purchase a few more rotary phones for use in my home. I am not very tech savvy and am very new to this; still trying to learn about some of the models and decide which others might interest me.

I am having entirely too much fun reading the forum, what an amazing place! Very happy to be here! Will post more about my phones soon; will add a few pictures once I figure out how.

Oops, edited to add: I'm in the Midwestern USA, am old enough to have had rotary phones at home growing up and although I own an iPhone it is too much smarter than me so I would like to set my rotaries up as my house phones (and add a few more).

Matilo Telephones

Welcome to this forum. Always nice to here of another phonitis sufferer.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

HarrySmith

Welcome Denton ;D
You have found the best forum on the net and the most helpful brain damaged phone phanatics anywhere. Be careful! Admitting the addiction is a good start but this is progressive disease. Once you learn about the different models you will find yourself wanting more. Another model, one in all the colors, different manufacturers, etc. the list goes on & on. Besides phones you will find yourself wistfully gazing at old telephone tools, phone books, toy phone trucks, paper goods etc. etc. take a look at the collection pictures. You will need to get rid of some furniture to display it all. This is the most fun obsession ever!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

paul-f

Welcome to the asylum.  No one should suffer alone.

We have found that discussing the addiction is very therapeutic.

Since you're in the midwest, check out the phone shows, too.  You'll find lots of fellow sufferers and tables of phones and phone-related items.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=12.0

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/shows/index.htm
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome to the forum! Believe me, this is the nicest group of people you will ever be around, not one jerk around here at all!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DentonRotary

Wow, thanks, everybody! I'm trying to read older posts around here because I'm pretty sure a lot of my questions are basic enough they have probably been answered before. Besides, its fun.

Maybe I should wander over to the proper department on here and introduce my phones? I can probably figure out how to post photos. I can even probably figure out how to first take said photos. However, before I can do that, I will have to go look up how to get photos of old rotaries from iPhone to computer(!).

jsowers

Quote from: DentonRotary on February 21, 2014, 02:01:21 PM
Wow, thanks, everybody! I'm trying to read older posts around here because I'm pretty sure a lot of my questions are basic enough they have probably been answered before. Besides, its fun.

Maybe I should wander over to the proper department on here and introduce my phones? I can probably figure out how to post photos. I can even probably figure out how to first take said photos. However, before I can do that, I will have to go look up how to get photos of old rotaries from iPhone to computer(!).

I think you can email them to yourself from the photo software in the iPhone. If you have a Mac, you can sync them up with iPhoto. But if you have a PC, it might just be easier to email them.

Welcome to the Forum! I'm looking forward to seeing your Trimlines. We've had several threads on them, so look around and you might find what you need.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Welcome to the Classic Rotary Phone Forum!

Once you have your pictures ready to post in the phone display area you will find a link just below the box where you type your text labelled "Attachments and other options".  Click it and you will see that you can upload a picture. There is also a "More Attachments" link that you can click to upload more pictures to a total of six per post.

Terry

HarrySmith

I would agree, probably easiest to email the pictures to yourself. That's how I do it!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Welcome, Denton!

You'll find that group therapy will do you some good! ;D If you need help in actually posting your photos, many here are ready, willing, and able to assist, just ask.

I have a (work) iPod 5 that sees frequent use as a camera. I have the USB to iPod cable plugged into my PC, so every time I plug it in to charge, it defaults to 'download your photos mode', which I do when I have need. Might give that a whirl. Then you can import them into a photo editor, copy them, crop, or resize them, prior to posting.

If this is all coming at you too fast, please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Dave Beck

Welcome Denton,
From another newbie, you will love it here. These guys know their stuff and will help you on anything you have, believe me I know! They have helped me from phones to phone system.

Regards,
Dave Beck

DentonRotary

Thank you all so much for the helpful hints! Where is the best section to post a few photos of my phones?

I know much of the history on one of them because I've had it for so long. The other was a junkstore find. Each has something that seems unusual to me about it. I don't know how to take them apart to see what's under there.

Neither has been fiddled with for many years. Cosmetic condition on both (in my non-expert opinion) is fairly good--enough so that I don't think I feel ready to subject them to polish yet. I do not believe either has ever been painted. For not having been gone over they appear relatively clean to me.

My friend helped me hook them up for a test. I believe what he had them on was VOIP but that part is still all greek to me. Neither phone has the pulse to tone switch on it (at least, I haven't readily found it if its there). We have a cheap, made in India, pulse to tone convertor box he added into the wall line.

With that setup, we were able to get the phones to reliably ring in when we used cell phones to dial the house line the rotaries were connected to (hooked them up one at a time). The bells didn't ring super loud but both worked; reception was crystal clear on the phone I've had the longest, bit of static on the junkstore unit but might have been from the coily-cord connections.

I had to put replacement wall lines on both. The junkstore phone has its original coil cord (I think; it appears to match) my old phone unfortunately has gone through several aftermarket coil cords.

I think that my use of the coil cords and clip-in wall lines must mean that these phones are set up for modular use? If I have that right, I believe I prefer that for ease of doing everything. I seem to remember the other way to do it involved straight cords and more "fun" changing components from memory of my grandfather's very old phones (none of which I inherited, unfortunately).

"Photo Shoot" forthcoming; you all have so many great pictures of so many gorgeous phones I almost hate to show my paltry, ordinary ones that have not even been cleaned up or really gone through yet! But I will try to get some pictures.

Oops again...edited to add: However, when hooked up, neither phone would dial out. I am presuming something needs rewired somewhere in order for that function to work?