News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 411

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 07, 2015, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I found this 411 at a flea market a couple weekends ago. I tried to get the seller to go down from his $95 asking price, but he wouldn't budge at $85, so we agreed on it. I would have passed, but I figured a prewar metal version was harder to find than the early fifties ones everyone seems to find more often. Later that day, I realized that it had an exclusion plunger as well as the 2-line switch.

When I got home, I noticed it was marked 411AA-3. Paul F verified that 'AA' meant it was originally a manual phone, which explains why a '53 #6 dial was sitting in it, along with a replacement rubber HS cord.

By now, I'm starting to realize that this phone has an unusual combination of features; 2-line, exclusion plunger, AND set up for non-dial service, as well as being from March 1941!

I finally got it put back together tonight. My Dad powdercoated the housing, while I polished the handset and rewired it for manual service. I also fabricated a new cord from OPW bulk cording, and the phone looks like new!

I have 'Before' pictures somewhere, but I don't know where they are! I'm starting to get old already... ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

cihensley@aol.com

Looks very good.

Chuck

Fabius

Nice find. You're right you don't see the metal ones as often.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dave203

That sure is a nice set. It has a great shine and the exclusion plunger and line 2 switch look cool too!