News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red AE 50 Auction, Looks 100% Original, BEAUTIFUL Condition

Started by KaiserFrazer67, June 04, 2017, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Sold for $886 with 9 bidders and 4 snipes, all placed with exactly 4 seconds to go.

Don't know who bid or who one. Seller had it set up as a private listing.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 05, 2017, 11:26:08 AM
Eventually.  I don't have the time now.
Alex.....find time yet....love to see them.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: unbeldi on June 07, 2017, 07:03:10 AM
I thought the low-Z ringer found in this set is one of the kind that appeared in the mid-1950s, which I thought were intended as replacement in 34A3 sets.  There is another type for the 40/50 series.

Oh sorry, I didn't even look at the pictures as I was away from my computer.

Terry

Jon Kolger

I appreciate all the attention that this telephone has garnered.  If you haven't noticed yet, I have another really nice AE 50 on right now.  I am on the forum, but I keep a pretty low profile.  I only check in every few days or so.  I am constantly amazed by all the knowledge you guys have about these phones.  I never would have noticed anything different about that ringer.  To me, these phones are like pieces of art.  I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the technical details unless something is really amiss.

Doug Rose

And these are Jon's extra phones. He is the King of Colors.....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Jon Kolger on June 10, 2017, 08:30:37 PM
If you haven't noticed yet, I have another really nice AE 50 on right now.

Jon,

Some of us noticed . . .  ;)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18306.0

Feel free to take a guess. Most seller's guess $1 gazillion dollars on their listed phones. Actually, most seller's don't guess for obvious reasons.

That is a very nice Nile Green AE 50.

unbeldi

I was surprised that this nile green set had such an old dial.

The ringer in this set is the same type as that installed in the Jon's red set, low-impedance but this time it is for 20 Hz frequency-selective ringing, so it should work on today's telephone lines.   This type of ringer,  D-56465-y, was supplied only separately as a parts kit, without gongs and without the mounting bracket.  I wasn't aware before the display of these two sets, that these ringers were also used in the Type 50 wall sets.  I was under the impression that they were only for replacement in 34A3 sets, so I am glad we got the detailed internal pictures from Jon.

The original ringer of this telephone, from the factory, was a straight-line high-impedance ringer.

I also found it interesting to note the type number of this set, L-5114.  I don't think I had seen a 5114 type before, I had my list only up to 5113, which was a Jade Green set.   From this, it is possible that the colored sets in the mid-1950s had special order numbers, in addition to the letter specifier for the color, which is J for Nile Green, as shown in the stamp on the rear of the set:   L5114 DSL J  NX-4

It is a bit hard to read the printing on the wiring diagram, but I seem to detect that it states  L5114 B SL.    This would explain the old dial, if the set was originally a manual telephone.  This is contradicted however, by the "D" in the type stamp on the rear.

PS:   I am moving this reply to the thread for the green set, already referenced.