News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can you ID this enclosure?

Started by Sigmaz, January 12, 2018, 06:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

I'll be taking possession of this enclosure in the next few days.
Anyone know the specifics on this one....

I may have learned that it could be an L-31a on a handicapped accessible/phone from car ped?

I know the name of one guy who knows for sure...

Sigmaz

AE_Collector

Did you find a plate on it anywhere with make and model number? We had just a very small number if those in Vancouver area and I can't remember anything about who made them now.

Terry

Sigmaz

There are tags that say Clark Specialty Company on them..

AE_Collector

Oh okay, might have been a smaller manufacturer then. It seems as though quite a few companies designed and built fixtures for payphones over the years. We had some full booths that we called BBM-1000's. BBM was either the manufacturer or their name for this line and stood for Bronze and Black Metal....various versions of anodized aluminum.

Terry

Sigmaz

L-141/L Drive-up  sticker inside the pedestal.

The mark up on the sticker attached to the bottom of the hood has all but faded away.. some slight remnants remain, but it's hard to make out.

AE_Collector

Looks like a number/location identification rather than the type of booth.

Sigmaz

Could be.
the installer that I got it from referred to it as a handicap accessible / Drive up pedestal. L-141?
He referred to the hood as a 31A but I'm not sure if he's just using loose industry jargon or if that's the actual designator given by the manufacturer or phone system provider

Update: after speaking with a rep at Clark Specialty as I thought, it is actually called a Sentry L-31a.

Sigmaz

Put a little time into my pedestal/enclosure today.
Whipped up an LED lighting solution and then decided to make new non Verizon signage panels.
The material used was a back-light diffusing panel that I harvested from a burned out LCD Television.

I will cut myself some vinyl "Phone" and Bell system logos Saturday after my son's pinewood derby.
That should help make it look fairly legit. I love the Bell system logos but Verizon just cheesed everything up with the black and red.

Payphone installer

Clark Specialty was what I considered to be the best manufacturer of payphone enclosures. They were not a small company,they were one of the largest. When I was promoted from installer to 1st line manager in the payphone department.  I  switched from Phillips and Brooks to Clark enclosures because of their superior  construction. The units are some of the best in the industry. What I liked the most were the backboards and pedestals,they were made of aluminum.  They were lite and they lasted forever. They were one of the most used equipment providers by the Bell companies in the earlier years  along with ADCO. If you come across one of their pedestals today it will be in good shape. They I believe are the only enclosure company left today. I just bought some equipment from them. They still will make anything they ever made. Jim

Sigmaz

Guess I'm on the hunt for an aluminum pedestal now..
;)

Made a test cut of the vinyl lettering and Bell logos today.. I need to get some more blue Oracal but I tried it in red and it came out well.
I'm going to do another run with the Helvetica font as suggested in another thread. and see what it looks like.

Sigmaz

Here we are in blue using helvetica.
Do you guys think this would pass?
Of course they can be picked off and the plastic is more brittle but for a collector repop it's probably ok right?

Looks good, looks like the real deal to me.

Sigmaz

Thanks Duffy.

I just found this used one on eBay.
From the looks of it I think I've got it pretty close.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"