News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecting a PAP2T ATA to C*Net

Started by bellsystem, July 31, 2017, 07:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystem

No smartphone, no router access (I don't have login access to the router). Are you talking about port forwarding? I can't do that. But people have said you don't need to port forward for ATAs

compubit

As long as Andy provides a routable IP address for you to connect to and allows the appropriate ports through his firewall, you should be able to connect a PAP2T without opening anything on your router - provided there is no outbound filtering in place.

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

bellsystem

Also, I should add that I need a US number (1-XXX-XXXX)

markosjal

I will take on hosting you free for cnet access only I can give you a +1 777 xxxx number . Do not expect all the frills however.

This would be on a trial basis.

This hosting will come from a data center server in Arizona . I am sure you will have great service from the Midwest.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

bellsystem

Wow, thanks Mark!

All I need is the basic C*Net hosting - what I would get if anyone else were to host. I believe all that is service + 1 number.

A 1 777 number sounds great. I'll take any old number you have to spare.

I mentioned the Midwest just in case there were differences in service. The other person who offered (but hasn't gotten back to me) was on the East Coast, so that wouldn't have been close anyways. I just brought it up in case distance from the host makes any difference in performance. But I'm using this to play around anyways, so it really doesn't matter.

Thanks again. I have my PAP2T. I can login via IP address to configure, but I don't know what details to fill in. Is that all information you can provide?

shadow67

What would the settings be for accessing c*net on zoiper? I would like to give it a try

markosjal

Shadow67,

Your settings depend much on the account you have . Do you have an account?

shadow67

I do not have a c*net account. However I do have my own asterisk system on freepbx that I was trying to configure so that I could dial out and reach c*net numbers. Apparently one needs to set up an enum trunk and change an enum file to include std.ckts.info in the enum search. As I am not aware how to edit that just yet from the freepbx Gui I saw the mention above about using zoiper, which I have on my iPhone and use as an extension on the freepbx. I thought there may be an easy way to set up an account on the app that would work. Thanks

shadow67

Just as added info I have a few ATAs on my system with old rotary phones on them. I even was able to add a manual 333 W.E. phone and configure the ATA so when it goes off hook it automatically dials my cellphone, which is pretty cool.

markosjal

Shadow67,

I have a several asterisk boxes, one is a C*net node . Just be aware of a few things....

If you start sending calls to C*Net with caller ID that does no reverse map to your IP address your IP will get blocked, PERMANENTLY , on some nodes. They did this to me full well knowing I was waiting for my number assignments (which I think took several weeks).

There are a lot on their list who see themselves as "experts" and get offended when a new user does not seek their advice or help.

Their dialplan they will send you needs serious editing. If you have a block of 1000 numbers you can reduce 1000 lines to a single line right off the bat.

The "old timers" are free to post whatever they want, but newcomers it seems are not treated equally, even though as I pointed out to them , it was I, that years ago, suggested they look at asterisk as a solution to get their old switches up and talking. I have been on and off that list several times. I think I am off permanently, not only because they banned me for saying what I see, but because i want nothing to do with that group.

I think you will need a lot of good luck to have any success getting a node up at all. I do wish you a better ride than I had. I had wanted to put up a node for years it just turned into sour grapes for me. They took all the fun out of it.

Mark

andy1702

Mark,

Instead of whinging about C*net why don't you just shut down your server and leave it? You obviously have the skills to set up ypour own voip network, so why not do that?

Please remember C*net is simply a way for users of vintage equipment to connect it together. It is NOT the place to make clever use of VOIP systems or to make a quick buck.

If your C*net server has not been set up correctly, working to guidelines agreed by other C*net users then yes, your calls will be blocked. However it is not rocket science to configure an ATA or even a server correctly.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

andy1702

Quote from: shadow67 on October 10, 2017, 10:21:36 PM
What would the settings be for accessing c*net on zoiper? I would like to give it a try

If your phones are connected to an ATA then to access those phones from the Zoiper app you would need a number set up on a hosting C*net server for each incoming line (each port on your ATA) that you have. Your host will then be able to give you a seperate phone number for your Zoiper app, which is effectively another phone. Setting up the app involves nothing more than entering a username and password, which will be given to you by whoever is hosting your c*net service. If they can't do that then you should switch host to someone who can.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

markosjal

Quote from: andy1702 on October 13, 2017, 07:02:45 AM
Mark,

Instead of whinging about C*net why don't you just shut down your server and leave it? You obviously have the skills to set up ypour own voip network, so why not do that?

Please remember C*net is simply a way for users of vintage equipment to connect it together. It is NOT the place to make clever use of VOIP systems or to make a quick buck.

If your C*net server has not been set up correctly, working to guidelines agreed by other C*net users then yes, your calls will be blocked. However it is not rocket science to configure an ATA or even a server correctly.

There is no "whine" as you seem to make in your claim. I merely warned a prospective new user of my recent experience.  Part of the problem with C*Net , as of a month ago said rules were frequently eluded to but did not exist in complete published form anywhere . That is a serious problem in my opinion.

I do offer FREE ATA hosting on C*Net however if someone want to combine that with Google Voice , and even e911 service, meaning "all in one" . I do that too and yes I charge a fee for it. 

My server is not nor never was mis-configured.