News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

pay phone

Started by Thomas, September 27, 2015, 01:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Hello all, It's been awhile since I've been here. We only have two old phones and once I got the last one working I've been off on other things. The other day we were talking to our mail lady and she told us she has a wooden phone booth she restored with a phone, it's in her house. Her electrician wired up the light and fan, they both work well. The phone works too but it won't ring when a call comes in. Someone who, I think, was an operator said that had to be done by them. Is there any way to make the phone ring? I have no info. on what kind it is etc. What do I need to find out about it so I can ask you guy's questions? I think that's the best place to start. It is a pay phone, takes 5,10and 25 cents. No seat in it, you have to stand. I am going to try  to get some pictures of it too. Thanks for the help. Tom

TelePlay

Many, if not most, 3 slot pay phones were not equipped with an internal ringer. Some had a subset near, usually below, the phone. A ringer can be added and others can help you with that once the model and internals are identified -- pictures are needed.

Also, does the owner have the keys of the locks are still in place?

Thomas

Thanks, not sure about the key will have to ask. I think she said that when the guy wired it up to work that there was a bell, or two, in the phone, will have to check that too.Should I post here or another place like "All other pay phones"?

Jim Stettler

The "bell" is most likely the coin gong. As John said, you will probably need a subset.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Thomas

Jim, Thanks, will have to get over and see it before I can ask more questions.