News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Prepay vs. Local-Prepay

Started by mentalstampede, December 29, 2015, 02:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

This is probably a stupid question, but what's the distinction between a prepay paystation (such as the AE LPB-82 series for example) verses a local-prepay paystation (eg. AE LPB-89 series)? Both types seem like they would operate in an identical fashion as far as the calling party is concerned, but there's obviously enough of a difference to justify a different model of phone.

Is the difference in the mechanism for enforcing depost of the base rate?

My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

GTE Rick

Both require the initial deposit to get the dial to operate.  Here are the differences I remember.

1 Local Coin Collection:

With local prepay, on a local call the initial deposit is collected when the called party answers.

On prepay, the coins are not collected until the party hangs up the coin phone.

2 Toll Calls:

For toll calls on Local Prepay, after making the initial deposit the calling party dials the operator. As soon as they are connected to the operator, the initial deposit is automatically returned.  The coin mechanism, inside the pay station, then moves (by reverse battery) to the collect position. The operator puts the call through and then requests deposit of the required coins.  The coins drop into the coin receptacle and cannot be returned. 

For toll calls on Pre pay after making the initial deposit the calling party dials the operator. As soon as they are connected to the operator, the initial deposit is automatically returned.  The operator can collect and return the coins.

Hope this helps

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

G-Man

Quote from: mentalstampede on December 29, 2015, 02:21:07 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but what's the distinction between a prepay paystation (such as the AE LPB-82 series for example) verses a local-prepay paystation (eg. AE LPB-89 series)? Both types seem like they would operate in an identical fashion as far as the calling party is concerned, but there's obviously enough of a difference to justify a different model of phone.

Is the difference in the mechanism for enforcing depost of the base rate?
Interestingly, this same topic recently came up on the TCI listserve, so I won't bore others who also belong to it with repeating it verbatim; especially since links to the TCI Library regarding Local Prepay operation were presented in those threads.

But basically, Local Prepay allowed the use of less inexpensive coin adapters in the central office.

However, more expensive, special subsets were also required. They contained a relay and an inert-gas filled lamp for use in conjunction with the coin collect relay.

mentalstampede

Awesome. That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks, guys.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

G-Man

Further...

Series 89 Paystation DESCRIPTION

1.1 The Paystations described in this bulletin are designed for use in an automatic exchange equipped with line adapters, a -110-volt d-c source, and an interrupter which automatically refunds coins (on toll calls, a CLR trunk adapter is required). The reversal of 48-volt exchange battery collects the coins. The -55 suffix, after the paystation type number, denotes 2 -nickel service.

1.2 The calling party is connected to a local trunk at the central office upon lifting the handset off-hook. The calling party receives dial tone, but cannot dial until 2 nickels, 1 dime, or 1 quarter has been deposited.

(1) After deposit of the required coins, the calling party may dial. When the called party answers, the money deposited falls into the cash    box.    The paystation is automatically restored to normal by the central office upon completion of the call.

(2) If the call is not completed, the caller hangs up, the money deposited is returned, and the paystation is automatically returned to normal.

1.3 On incoming calls, the coin mechanism is always set to the collect position by re verse battery from connector talking bridge.

1.4 For toll calls, the calling party dials the toll operator code after the deposit of the required coins. As soon as a CLR trunk is seized, the original coin or coins are automatically returned. The coin mechanism, inside the paystation telephone, then re-operates (by reverse battery) to the collect position, under the control of the CLR trunk adapter. The operator establishes the connection with the distant station and then requests deposit of the required coins to cover the toll charge. The coins drop over the coin signal gongs into the coin receptacle and cannot be returned.

1.5 The physical construction of the local prepay paystation is similar to the standard prepay paystation with two exceptions; relay construction and the ringer box. Normally a ringer box, equipped with only the ringermechanism, is used. With a series 89 paystation, a horizontal-type telephone relay with a two-winding coil and two sets of make (A-contact) contacts, a .4-microfarad capacitor (when used with LPB series), and a neon bulb, are mounted alongside of the ringer mechanism.