News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Model 500 has dial-tone, but will not ring

Started by Juggler, June 17, 2013, 04:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggler

I just picked up a black model 500 (C/D, labelled 5-78-B inside) from ebay. It has dial tone (haven't tested dialing yet), but will not ring. I've looked through the forums, but am hoping someone can look at these pictures to point out any obvious mis-wiring:

twocvbloke

Take the Black wire off the G terminal (where the Yellow line wire is also connected) and connect it to the L1 terminal with the Green line wire... :)

Juggler

Many thanks for your quick reply. The perspective is hard, but if you look at the first photo, you can see that it is already wired as you suggest (green & black, yellow, red). Is there any other obvious problems?

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 17, 2013, 05:04:13 PM
Take the Black wire off the G terminal (where the Yellow line wire is also connected) and connect it to the L1 terminal with the Green line wire... :)

twocvbloke

Quote from: Juggler on June 17, 2013, 05:08:05 PM
Many thanks for your quick reply. The perspective is hard, but if you look at the first photo, you can see that it is already wired as you suggest (green & black, yellow, red). Is there any other obvious problems?

The PVC covered black wire on L1 is actually not meant to be there as it's coming from the line cable, as in the US the Black & Yellow wires tend to be for a 2nd line... :)

The Black cloth-covered ringer wire is on the G terminal, which needs to be placed on the L1 terminal as I mentioned, which will get the ringer working... :)

WesternElectricBen

Track the black lead from the ringer and hook it up to green.

Juggler

I've tried as you suggested, but still no ring. Dial-tone is still working when off-hook.

My current wiring is thus:

• line-green to L1
  • line-yellow to G
  • line-red to L2
  • line-black disconnected
  • phone-black to L1

I tried tracing where the phone-black goes, but it disappears under the bells. If necessary I can further disassemble, but was hoping for an easier fix?

cheers,
   J.

southernphoneman

it appears from your photo that the black wire from your ringer assembly is hooked up to g,if you have not already tried,try tracing the black wire from the ringer to be sure you have the right one , and if it is not hooked up to L1, it should be and the phone should then ring, it appears from what I see that you have tackled everything else.also try going to the wiring diagrams in this forum(western electric 500)and that may help you as well.GOOD LUCK. :) ;)

twocvbloke

If the ringer is wired up as per my doodling below, then it should work... :)

The one thing I notice in the pictures is the bells are set to silent, which indeed would stop them ringing, set it to the "Loud" position and it should ring. There's also the Bias spring (sits in a G-shaped thing between the bells, looking at it from the rear, see my 2nd pic below for reference) which if it's set to the high position (pushed over to the right, rather than like my pic where it's over to the left) would also prevent ringing in some situations... :)

If that still doesn't work, then it could be one of a few things, like a faulty ringer or ringer wiring, a bad capacitor inside the network, your phone service (E.G. if it uses an ATA that doesn't provide enough power), or something else we cannot see in the pictures... :)

WesternElectricBen

How did you make those pointers and circles? On paint?

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 18, 2013, 10:33:45 AM

Yep, I used Paint in Windows7 (which has a bit more to it than the older versions)... :)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 18, 2013, 10:34:38 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 18, 2013, 10:33:45 AM

Yep, I used Paint in Windows7 (which has a bit more to it than the older versions)... :)

Dang! All my PCs have winxp... Though my mac can do that...

twocvbloke

You can still draw circles and lines in older versions of paint, they're just a bit more jaggedy and not as easy to get it all lined up without having to redo it... :)